What was your wine board path to Wine Berserkers

I started with AOL in 1993 or 1994, then quickly added Prodigy and then Compuserve. Dropped AOL, picked up alt.food.wine.

Moved to Squires when Mark started it and Prodigy shut down. Added WLDG (Robin Garr), which became my primary online home, and transitioned away from Compuserve. Later added Harrington’s WCWN and cut way back on Squires, which by that time was eBob. Added Wine Therapy when Callahan started it (I still have a few T-shirts).

Went on a long hiatus (around 2003 or 2004 until 2011 or so) from online wine discussion and when I poked my head out again, everything had changed. I found my way here and to Wine Disorder where there were a lot of familiar faces and a lot of new ones as well. These are where I spend most of my time, but I occasionally peek at Cannavan’s and Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts as well.

Robin Garr - did my first offline with some really nice folks I met through that board when in Dallas for work 15 or 16 years ago
Squires, pre and post eBob
Berserkers from around the time of the major exodus from eBob

Never had enough time to post much on any.

I found this site looking for information about Premier Cru.
Stuck around for lots of other good information.

I was referred by GaryC328i

WS
WLTV
CT
WB

I forget if Peter Kleban brought me here or I brought him
IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_0637.JPG

It’s so interesting how this whole thing has evolved, and the different paths of different people. I started on the WLTV forums. I started reading the Squires/Parker board because the knowledge of some of the people there impressed me, but I found I didn’t like the overall tone/environment. Then I discovered this place. I like it here.

eBob and now here.

Squires
Here

WineLibrary TV Forums → Squires → WB

WLTV

Wine woot
Wine spectator
Squires
Here

This thread should be re-named, as the Road to Serfdom.

alt.food.wine
WLDG
here

:stuck_out_tongue:

Started in the CellarTracker forum, where I heard of this.

I’m happy to see a few mentions of the (very) old alt.food.wine from pre-web browser days. Gee, that dates us, don’t it?

How many can raise their hands for getting kicked off the Squires bored? [highfive.gif]

No mention of Wine Therapy? Hmmm…

WT >WD have been mention at least twice.

1st wine forum - Winepros

Then when that was going belly-up, I joined Auswine and Winestar forums, later adding Wine Pages and WLDG. A hiatus from Auswine led to starting posting at the short live Bocaccio wine forum. This is the most recent wine forum I’ve joined & I still participate at Wine Pages & Auswine.

I never got kicked off, though Squires threatened to kick me off one time (for something inadvertent and in my view fairly trivial in any case). And he nearly wouldn’t let me on the board when I first signed up since he claimed I didn’t use my real name and instead used the obvious fake wine name of Zinns. rolleyes