What's the Most a Rose SHOULD Cost?

Under $30 - Bandol Rose
Under $20 - Provence Rose
Under $15 - Mediterranean Rose
Under $15 - Spanish Rose
Under $20 - West Coast Rose (unless you sell a $100+ Cabernet, then you can sell your rose for $60 a bottle)

Thomas, can you get me some Lopez de Heredia Rosado please? Happy to pay up to $20. [wink.gif]

As others have said, what it should cost is irrelevant and up to producer. I don’t look at Rose different from any other wine. Will pay whatever value I assign to the pleasure derived from the wine.

My limit has been $40-45 for Tempier and Simone. Otherwise, $15-30.

I spent over $40 on 2012 I Vigneri di Salvo Foti Vinudilice and found it worth the money.

Cheap Spanish and French Rosé are probably the best QPR on the planet. We like a dry dirty style and there are a few under $10 at Trader Joe’s and other mega liquor stores.

Well, Valenttini’s cerasuolo is around seventy bucks… [cheers.gif]

This topic also came up when Lillian released a rose, which I think was the same price as their reds (in the $60s or so). Anyone ever try that?

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Ode to Lulu by Bedrock. It gives Tempier a run for its money at half the price.

This

Tempier sets the bar, so for me, that is what the market will bear.

Also, this:

I feel like I buy more rose than most, and I do not have a strict price ceiling. That said, I’m also generally regarded as being a poor judge of value.

Tried this a few years ago - either a 2014 or 2015 purchased at Chambers St while in NYC. Was far from impressed. That bottle did not hold a candle to Tempier, or many other much cheaper rosès. May have been an off bottle, so would try again, but not on my dime.

I liked the 2010 and 2011 but stopped buying it for some reason. The only reason I can come up with is that I did’t find it as interesting as my other options. It would be fun to try it again along with those I normally drink.

I agree with what you are saying, Larry. I do think that some Rosé wines that A) have a track record of improving with cellar time and B) reflect an obvious dedication to quality from the winemaker(s), deserve a break on what might be market-determined price caps.

My OP is not in pursuit of economics lessons, not do I wish to get everyone to sign a petition or anything. :wink:

Just as Sauvignon Blanc can serve as a low-input/high-return product for many wineries (not all), I feel like the inclusion of a Rosé in a winery’s line-up can be a second-thought cash cow. The preponderance of Saignée-method pinks, offered at ridiculous prices, and high levels of alcohol, is silly.

$42,000

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2014/05/bottle-of-california-rose-sells-for-42-000

Buzz wins.

Same as for any other wine: depends on how good it is.

The best bottles I’ve had have been from Cotat, Tempier, and Marc Angeli. Priced well above what you’re used to paying for rose, and worth it.

By a lightyear.

PM sent.

most I’ve spent is for Lambrays Rose du Clos. I’ve usually gotten that at around $30, which I’ve always thought is a good value considering I can hold it for a while. I’ve still got some 2013s hanging around.