What's wrong with Saxum?

I tasted the 2013 Saxum Paderewski with Jay Hack at an offline in 2018. You tell me where you can purchase something that delicious for $98.
It compares to Maybach and MACDONALD at almost twice the price.

For those of you not on the list, head over to Commerce Corner and buy a few bottles.

What’s this MACDONALD you speak of? Do you have a link?

I often buy Saxum off the CC while I wait on the waitlist

All I learned from this thread is I need to try Saxum. Where do I start? Seems like a 10+ year old something?

I heard a rumor that the next De Negoce wine is actually made by Saxum! :wink:

Justin is an extremely decent and kind individual. Waiting lists are inescapable for wines of this caliber beyond his control. That said when you are a member with an allotment, they are very flexible and decent about sorting things out.
I tend to purchase a certain group of wines and have been consistent with that for years. I think this is a relationship of mutual respect. They routinely offer me wines that I accept all of the time, and others I don’t. I have asked for and received mags
at different times (G2 etc.). I think with decent advanced notice if you specifically wanted a magnum for celebrating a special occasion that they are happy to help out wherever they can. That said there is a certain respect for privacy and the fact that Justin’s family live around that cave is an important thing to keep in mind. He is a very real person with an incredibly great sense for Paso Robles best vineyard sites and how to “farm them”, and an incredible selection of family and neighbor owned vineyards. A lot of the initial core
of Paso Winemakers all grew up together, help each other, genuinely like each other and play a role as a community!

I like to think and feel that way at times about this community. So, my theory is that since there is this long waiting list to acquire these wines, a number of very decent members of this community order their whole allotment and resell them at really no significant profit so that all of the individuals who are really here to find out about these wines, will also have the opportunity to hang onto them for a couple years until you actually drink them!

Chiming in, I have been on the list for years, and usually can only take about three or four bottles of year due to financial constraints. Thus, for this year I would probably do the same, but thought might as well offer some to someone who would like to purchase. The prices are more than fair in my opinion.

The last two offers this year, I was able to use someone’s allocation who was passing or not buying their full allotment. I am grateful for those who have shared the opportunity for me to add some bottles while I wait for my direct chance off the waitlist. By the time I get added I should have some Saxum bottles ready to drink.

Because the wait list is so long people don’t want to lose their spot.

There was a similar amount of postings for Scarecrow in March for people who wanted to pass on the 17’ vintage but didn’t want to lose their spot on the list so they can buy the 18’ vintage next year.

I agree with the general sentiment. Since they make so many different wines, taking your full allocation can easily exceed $2K. 10 years ago, my allocation was a case in the Spring and a case in the Fall. Now they have almost doubled the number of different wines they make and my allocation is 3-4 cases per year - way too much. Bedrock and Carlisle and a few others will keep your allocation even if you order less than you are offered, but others will cut you if you don’t take everything. I’m not sure where Saxum falls on this spectrum.

But this logic doesn’t make sense as the winery has always been closed to the public.
As an estate they literally don’t sell a drop of wine via a tasting room they don’t have.

I’m sure restaurant sales are down, but that was probably a small portion of the business that could made up for in retail/mailing list sales.

Unsure why more is on the market, will be keeping mine :slight_smile:

On the Bedrock Zoom a few weeks back, he said his business was down big time due to restaurant closures. This makes up a major portion of the business. List buyers aren’t a big percentage.

Mark nailed it here I think. Nothing wrong, just a lot of $100 wines to go around. it’s ultimately why I stopped buying and Am now trying to sell some, how am I going to drink 150 bottles of Saxum! Good problems of course but the cellar was just getting to one sided.

Sell us the wines at restaurant wholesale prices and I bet business would uptick?

Funny, I had similar thoughts. If they just cut out all the middle men, it would be more efficient! So many channels.

I went through this about 20 years ago and eventually threw off the shackles of mailing list wines that required ever increasing purchases to stay on the list. It was like going through the Kubler-Ross stages of grief:

Denial
Four cases a year from one producer isn’t really that much.

Anger
WTF with these allocations/prices!?!

Bargaining
Emails or calls to ask about skipping just this release. No dice? OK, I’ll sell some to stay on the list.

Depression
Crap, I’ll never drink all this and if I tried, wouldn’t have enough days in the week to drink anything else.

Acceptance
Order what I want. If I’m dropped or lose access to the cherries, that’s more money and slots for variety.

I have been on Saxum for seven years after Jay Hack hypnotized me on their wines at a Berserkerfest at Peking Duck House…

I have only bought a smattering of what they offer about 4-6 bottles a year. I am very happy with being allocated each year but hardly take my full allocation.

How was it?
I gave my brother a bottle for his birthday but he has not popped the bottle yet.

I did receive an offer for the first time this year at my restaurant. I assumed because all the expensive fancy pants restaurants were passing due to the Covid. I jumped in with some James Berry for the wine list.

Scott, it was outstanding. Distinctive, delicious and absolutely ready to go, IMO.

I successfully shared my allocation this past release as I just lost my FT job. Pandemic lead to cessation of elective surgery and that was my death knell.

I have 125-150 in the cellar and this seems the proper amount too.