What's wrong with Saxum?

Well said. I have gone through the stages with most of my lists. Some, like Alban and Rochioli, dropped me. Some, like Carlisle and Bedrock, seem to be OK with it. The jury is still out on Cayuse. The only lists where I haven’t come to the “Acceptance” stage are Saxum and SQN. That is partly because I really like the wines and partly because I can readily find people who want to share my allocation.

Mark, SQN was tough to give up on and was one of the last to go for me. That I fell out of love with ripe Grenache helped. I do miss their Syrah.

I just got an email from Saxum letting me know that I’d be moving from the waiting list and to the major leagues for the August release. Looking back at my old emails, apparently that was a six-year wait.

What should be expected from the release in a few weeks?

I got an email this morning also. Signed up February 2015.

Best guess, anything they didn’t sell from this last release and anything they have held back to sell for people newly added to the list. Gotta have something good to offer folks who’ve waited years for a chance to buy.

I just got the notice too that I was going to get an allocation in August… I forgot I was on the wait-list. My email records indicate I’ve been on since 2014. I guess now I have to decide if I want to plunk down that kind of money

I just received an offer as well. Looks like I first signed up in February of 2013!

I was offered the 2017 Hexe and 2018 Broken Stones. I know nothing of these wines and have moved mostly to European wines, but I may have to give these a try given all the high praise.

Signed up 8/13, got my first allocation. Have bought second hand since 2013.
When saxum invites me to buy their wine you know they’ve jumped the shark.

I didn’t take my Hexe or mags so have at them. [cheers.gif]

So hypothesizing, do you think Justin is making more wine and therefore increasing the total number of folks on the mailing list? Or do you think folks are dropping off, opening up spaces?

Cheers.

I think both… I signed up in 13 and got on this list today… I also have friends who signed up in 15 they also made the list today…

I think it leans more to people not buying due to the current economic climate. I got on the Saxum list last Fall after waiting a little over 8 years. And now people are getting on after waiting only 5? In addition, I’ve been getting tons of offer emails from wineries (mostly Napa) over the past 4 months from 1) wineries I’ve never bought from, from 2) waitlists that I’ve waited 4+ years and now I’m offered first time allocation, and 3) wineries I’ve bought from in the past but haven’t in the last couple years and now they’re all of a sudden sending me an offer again. My guess is the majority are trying to survive and grab any sale they can.

I’m in the same boat - first offer email earlier today. I didn’t look, but figure it was 2014/2015 time frame when i went on the wait list. '17 Hexe & 18 Broken Stones…ok, let’s do it.

Been taking part of friend’s allocation for a few years & it felt like standing in line at the “club” and slipping a $20 to the bouncer to get in. Not cool.

I suspect with restaurant sales totally dried up, these wineries now have a lot more wine on their hands and can offer it to more people now. Will be interesting to see what happens with those allocations if things get back to normal. Maybe they just cut everyone’s allocation amount so they dont’ have to boot people off the list again?

Amusingly, I just got the email today that I made the list for the Aug release. Ha!

Same! Pretty sure I signed up for it years ago when I first joined this forum. No chance I’ll take the allocation now- more wine for someone else!

Has anybody ever seen a Saxum on a restaurant wine list? (Obtained through a wholesaler).

I’ve seen it on the wine list of The Girl & The Fig in Sonoma - no clue if it was from a wholesaler.

Not me, I cracked it one prior release ago. champagne.gif

I received the same email, originally signed up for the list June 2014

1 Like