What's your favorite mustard? Fallot mustard photo added.

Ditto. I do like Maille and it is always available.

We love Maille Dijon freshly pumped mustard from the store of Place Madelaine in Paris. We have the large crocks they sell, and bring them empty over. Then we bring back truffle (2 large crocks ast time), regular chablis (one large crock and one small), whole grain (one large and one small), and a couple of jars of the Provence style (with red peppers).

Unfortunately for my next trip in May, I will be going to Paris first and then onward to other countries, so not sure carrying the full mustard jars around with me in Tunisia makes sense. But my affinity for it is strong, maybe a jar is in the cards.

just visited last weekend in Paris. No longer do they have 1 kilo buckets. I had to purchase 2- 500g smaller buckets. The plastic buckets are much lighter in weight that the crock and seal better.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2748926#p2748926

I had Koops mustard for the first time yesterday. It was really good.

Can anybody who hauls pumped mustard from France back comment if this site is the same thing? Is the price insane? What am I missing?

https://www.lacourtisanegourmet.com/collections/vendors?q=Maille

They are charging 3x for buying and filling those crocks at the Maille store.

Well sure, but you don’t have to waste all that time and money going to Paris!

Because going to Paris is always such a terrible waste… :wink:

Ok thanks, that seems steep for certain. Is there anywhere else that will mail it to you? I just never get to France anymore since the demise of the Concord.

After Maille from France, my second favorite mustard is this mild Dijon-style from Germany, Schwerter Senfmühle Adrian, which dates back 150 years. AFAIK, it is only avilable outside of Germany from Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge MA, although it is often sold out. I buy half a dozen at a time. They have other flavors, like Riesling and Curry, but the original Adrian is the best. It’s so good, I’ll just eat it with a spoon!

https://www.formaggiokitchen.com/mustard-schwerter-adrian-25cl

What’s your recipe? flirtysmile

After Tim’s post, I started experimenting. There are a number of slightly different techniques. You need to experiment to find one that you like. I got some fresh ground yellow from Kalyustan that was powdery but still had a little bit of texture. I took about 4 Tbsps of black whole seeds and covered them with plain white vinegar and waited until all the vinegar was absorbed, approximately doubling the volume. I then added water to about a half cup of the yellow powder to get a slightly too wet consistency, took the vinegared black seeds and put them in a spice grinder for about two seconds until some were smashed by some were still whole, added the black seeds to the ground yellow about 15 minutes after adding the water (the acid is supposed to stop the heat reaction), then added some truffle salt and maybe a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of Turmeric. THEN YOU MUST let it sit in the refrigerator for at least two days. It absorbs liquid and thickens and the bitterness disappears.

Take a look at this explanation. It’s a good base I used as a starter, but no herbs. The soaking the black seeds in vinegar was my own invention.

I made this Bon Appetit fermented mustard recipe for a couple of July 4th BBQ in Philly, and everyone loved it. Fermented sauerkraut juice kickstarts the fermentation.

135g Brown mustard seeds
119.5g Yellow mustard seeds
13.25g Yellow mustard powder
1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Verjus blanc
130g Fermented, non-pasteurized sauerkraut juice
7g Salt (original recipe had way too much salt)

Grind mustard seeds, mix all ingredients, store 4 days at room temp in mason jar with loose lid, let mellow in fridge for few days.

2 Likes

the reason the stuff at the tap may be better is because it’s fresher. dijon mustard especially loses its necessary punch with age. of the major brands available here, i haven’t found any consistency - when they’re on, they’re on and that includes store brands as well (which are likely made by one of the main brands). if you love that punch of dijon, which i do, try to find a way to get the freshest ones.

I make it the caraway mustard from the Ruhlman and Polcyn Chacuterie book. It’s very good but I’m convinced there is an error. Either that or they use enormous chicken eggs. I have to double the egg yolks or else cut the rest of the ingredients in half to get it to come out right.

Enjoying some Maille black truffle from the Paris tap, albeit from April. Great, great stuff.

I love green & yellow mustard. I’ve tried mustard with Udon vs Soba :slight_smile:)) . There is no more difference but the tasting is so much better.

Having a Maille shop 1km from our apartment is a bonus. White truffle and Chablis from the pumps right now. Awesome.