What's your favorite mustard? Fallot mustard photo added.

Opened up the Fallot Dijon. Much prefer the Fallot Bourgogne which I finished months ago, which had more spice, sharpness and bite.

Lucky you. Their mustards from the pump are worlds apart from the jarred stuff.

Friends just brought back some truffle Maille from Paris. Tiny little pot (I told them to bring as much as possible, but they foolishly ignored my advice).

Mind-blowingly good.

They have 1kg white buckets at the Paris shop on Place de la Madeleine. You have a ask for it they are not on display.

Our shop just moved from the white truffles to black. It’s not cheap though at €15 for a ~250ml pot. (And another €15 for the pot itself)

Does everyone refridgerate their mustard?

What comes fresh from the tap, yes. I know it still degrades over time, but even then it’s better than everything else for my palate.

I refrigerate all mustards and other condiments ketchup, fish sauce, soy sauce. I think they hold long term better with less evaporation.

I think that converts into $17 for 8.5 ounces + $17 for pot = $34
US websites sells it for $89 for 8.8 ounces. Free shipping though!

https://us.maille.com/collections/mustards/products/black-truffle-and-chablis-mustard?variant=47975667524

Any advice on bringing Maille mustard back from France? I’m going to be in Dijon in the near future.

I just carried 6 crocks home from Paris - would have been our usual 12 only I was traveling solo and the bigger box was difficult to manage. Do you have any empty crocks? If so, put them in a wine shipper (they won’t go all the way down into the bottle slot, but they sit nicely in between the top and bottom styro and won’t shift) and bring the box with you. The pots themselves are expensive, so you get a nice rebate if you bring back the empties to be refilled. If you don’t have any empties, just bring a wine shipper with you, or acquire one along the way. I’ve never put them in my suitcase, but if you only have a crock or two, I’m sure you can do so safely with a little precaution.

One you’ve had your crocks filled (they should have a few different varieties on tap. We usually get 11 chablis and one truffle), tape the stoppers down if they aren’t brand new and wrapped in tissue, or even if they are. I’ve never had a stopper come loose in more than a dozen trips, but you can’t be too careful. Though I’ve been told by Maille employees that the pots are fine at room temp for 2 weeks after filling, I prefer to refrigerate them as soon as possible. In any case, do refrigerate them after you get them home.

The box needs to be checked luggage, of course, and the TSA will probably open it up. No big deal - they should be able to smell right away it’s mustard. Once customs in NY pulled us out of line and opened the box, then waved us through. The cheese beagle in PHL airport has never flagged a box.

Have fun - it’s wonderful stuff, especially immediately upon filling. Even the pots that have been in the fridge for a few months are superior to the factory jarred variety.

Thanks

Sarah—I’m anxious to return to have my Maille pots refilled. Any idea if Maille will fill a Fallot crock or will there be expletives, sacre bleu, zoot!

https://twitter.com/normal_now/status/1049874883965059072

Having never stooped to delivering such a insult myself, I have no idea…

:slight_smile:

Kermit Lynch is bringing in Forte Moutarde and in a recent test with Fallot vin blanc (which isn’t available in the US), Maille, and Grey Poupon the Forte was easily the winner. Intense mustard flavor, even mores than the Fallot vin blanc and much more than the other two. I got mine through Greg at Envoyer and it is also here - Moutarde Forte au Vinagre, Les Produits Pic, Saint Hilaire d'Ozilhan, Rhone Valley - The Wine Country

I forgot all about starting this thread. I have switched to making my own and it is fantastic. It also allows me to play with flavors just a bit for variations. I am about to finish off my crock of Honey and Cayenne flavored Mustard. Next I’m going to experiment with Fresh Rosemary Mustard. I use one of these crocks from the good old days to store it:

https://www.amazon.com/Pommery-Meaux-Mustard-Stone-17-6-Ounce/dp/B0001BH5YM.

I want to make Sauterne Mustard the next time I have some left over.

my first forte was amazing
the next batch not so much
far less forte

Picked up the English habit of having English mustard to steak when I lived there, so Colman’s comes out for steaks. It only works with Colmans. For cooking, Dijon is mainly used. And for my Swedish christmas ham I need a milder Northern European style mustard. Slotts is the main brand, but lots of them work, even the one they sell at IKEA.

Mustard on steak?!? Hmmmmm … didn’t come across that during my time in England. Where in England did you live?