What's your favorite RYE-centric cocktail?

if there’s anything for which i can be counted upon, it’s influencing the consumption of hard alcohol. this is the other variation that i’m into: https://punchdrink.com/recipes/newark/

A high calling.

Views Carre. One of my favourite cocktails period. Equal parts rye, cognac and sweet vermouth with a dollop of benedictine and some bitters. I always thought of it like the rye version of the negroni in that its mostly a simple 1:1:1 cocktail and that chosing different brands for each ingredient drastically change the flavour profile of the drink for better or worse

Ahh, the Vieux Carré. I almost forgot that one. Age it in a barrel for a month and when you have that on tap… every day is a win

I think it’s one of the most underrated cocktails out there. I do a barrel of ot 2-3 times a year. I had this version (https://punchdrink.com/recipes/meadowoods-vieux-carre) of the cocktail a few years ago and and absolutely loved it. It’s worth taking the time to make that brandy just for this cocktail.

What is Benedictine? I searched and it looks like it’s not a type of spirit, but one actual brand and that’s all they make. Can you clarify?

Sazerac

Correct. Like Chartreuse, it’s a specific liqueur. They make two products - “Beneditine” (the original) and “B&B” which is Benedictine and Brandy, and less sweet. Like most herbal liqueurs, its background is as a curative/restorative product - here, its reputation seems to have built on the wonders it reputedly worked for consumptives and others with breathing issues.

Some cool info and pics here:

Benedictine:

…is an herbal liqueur (fulfills the bitter component of the cocktail). Here’s a link that lists substitutes as well, but I highly recommend going with the specific liqueur. The complex flavors really make a good drink.

My favorite rye cocktails have already been mentioned. Boulevardier (if you like slightly sweeter), Vieux Carre (if you like a little drier), and Sazerac (if you’re after the anise flourish).

If you’re feeling adventurous you could also try a Whiskey Daisy, but that’s more of a summer drink in my opinion. There are lots of ways to make it and prep matters, so it’s more one I’d pick up from a bartender…

Benedictine, or Bénédictine if you’re being fancy with the punctuation marks is a herbal liquor. There’s no sort of alternative to it, it’s kinda like Drambuie or Chartreuse in that sense where it’s only one product from one manufacturer.

You tend to use it it small quantities as both a sweetener and as a modifier to add an earthy sweetness to drinks like the Vieux Carre, Ford, De La Louisiane, Bobby Burns, and the Singapore Sling (all really delicious drinks worth trying out if you get your hands on a bottle of Benedictine). I guess the closest you could get to it would be a really intricate herbal simple syrup with some aromatic bitters thrown in. They do sell them by the half bottle, and that’s what I tend to buy for the home bar as going through a 750ml bottle a 1/4 or 1/8oz at a time takes a while.

I have a rule that I only drink Sazeracs when in New Orleans.

Of course, that also means it’s so much fun when I break it…

I made this drink last night… then I made it again. Just an outstanding version of a Manhattan. It has a little tea note from the Chartreuse and just more interest than a regular Manhattan. Thanks for the tip! I don’t enjoy Mescal so I was wondering what to do with this bottle of yellow Chartreuse purchased for the Naked and Famous. Problem solved!

From the Scotch thread, I went for the Clynelish 14 per Sarah’s recommendation and can confirm it is excellent. Cheers

Glad you liked the Clynelish. I have high hopes for the distillery despite being owned now by a giant. So, too, Brora. Now if that distillery can regain even a fraction of its past glory, we’re all in for a treat.

I’m ready to try some of these after stopping to grab some things I didn’t have!

That monkey is a bit disturbing.

My fav rye cocktail.

1.5 Rye
.5 Punt a mes
.5 Cardamaro/Montenegro Amaro
.25 Fernet branca

Stir and serve in a chilled coupe glass. Perfect fall cocktail.

I use this, which is distributed locally (Seattle).
https://www.leopoldbros.com/absinthe

Definitely enjoy a Sazerac when I can!

Like this one too, along with a Manhattan.

Same here. Just made one. Very nice! Also with Rittenhouse.

Most of the cocktails mentioned in this thread are already favorites of mine. The Greenpoint was a new one, so I just tried it - had to sub green Chartreuse for the yellow due to inventory issues, but still very nice.

Any of you who are Negroni and Sazerac fans, try the New Pal and let me know what you think. I posted a link above, but my version is -

1 oz rye
1 oz sweet vermouth
1 oz Campari
1 tsp absinthe
1 heavy dash Peychaud’s

Add all of the above to a glass with ice, stir, and strain into the glass of your choice. Add a flamed orange peel if you have it, or a light dash of orange bitters as a nice substitute.