What's Your Favorite Widely Available Bourbon / Rye?

A whole lot of similarity here for sure!

Bourbon, served with a cube or two of ice and a dash of bitters…Old Forester 1920
Bourbon, for use with Old Fashioneds or Manhattans…Weller Special Reserve
Rye, Rittenhouse…also for use in an Old Fashioned or Manhattan

1 Like

Wouldn’t think Weller as “widely available” these days.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned WT Rare Breed.

I was about to say the same thing.

Really? Maybe I just get lucky. Each of the last two visits to Total Wine I’ve seen handles on the shelf. I only go 4-5 times/year but it was there two weeks ago.

Handles?!?!!? As in 1.75L?!?!?!

Si…this is the green label bottle…it actually doesn’t have a handle but it’s what I call it.

Jeez Trent, what was the price on that bottle?

Total Wine in TX frequently has these available @ $39.99. The last time I was in I picked up a .375 of the same for $10.

FWIW Texas and Florida get huge allocations of Weller’s line up. I can’t remember the Berserker who post here a few years ago about being able to purchase 750, 1.0 and 1.75’s while visiting. About 4-5 years ago my cousin in Austin could always find Weller there.

Just to be sure we’re all talking the same bourbon here’s a pic…and yes, it runs around $38/1.75.
Weller SR.jpg

I’ve been pretty lucky on finding the Special Reserve in Colorado when my son travels
there for work and visiting his in laws in Vail. $38 for a handle sounds about right.

Ok gents, you have it good in TX then. Around the metro NYC area, the 750ml is clocking in close to $100 territory.

Yeah, if one could still get that at regular markups around here, it would be my answer too.

Update for Wa. Peeps, you can order any of the Woodinville products online.Prices are pretty good with tax and shipping built into the bottle price.Cask strength bourbon and rye $70 all in delivered.Oh and this stuff is really good! $70 each that is

Willett pot still for me.

Bourbon - Evan Williams Single Barrel (easy to find and easy on the wallet)
Rye - Rittenhouse (same)

Been drinking a lot of Oak and Eden. The oak spire maybe a gimmick but the effect is lovely. Great for sipping and cocktails.

Say what?

I assume it’s a joke because the mash bill is 51% rye, the bare minimum allowable for rye. However, I think it has more rye spice than many other ryes I’ve tasted with a higher percentage of rye in the mash bill. YMMV.

1 Like