What's your house champagne?

Jean Laurent, either BdB, BdN or rosé depending on my mood and what’s on the table. Anyone familiar with it? Not even sure if it’s available in the states.

Our choice for house bubbles is Egly Ouriet Les Vignes de Vrigny Brut or Cedric Bouchard Roses de Jeanne Cote de Val Vilane…Can always find the Egly, the Bouchard, not so much.

Chartogne Taillet Cuvee St Anne

Bereche

Laherte Freres Rosé and Ultratradition

Agrapart 7

1 Like

Schneiders in DC carriers it. I’ve enjoyed the BdN alot. Definitely for those who like burlier champagnes.

Piper. Vilmart on special occasions

The one that is open [wink.gif]

But, over the last few years NV Bereche has been the consistent go to with NV Clouet Rose showing up often as well

Yep, that’s the wine, Blair. If I can stay off the Lake Forest exit tomorrow, then I will have saved some money. We’ll see how my willpower is tomorrow. And, yes, please send us a note next time you are here. We can usually rally a table full of Berserker dorks and lots of bottles with some decent notice. Last time Jeff Pisoni was here in town last month, we had 14 guys and 20 bottles. The next AM for me, well, I was a little slow. [truce.gif]

Pierre Peters here usually with some Le Chetillons thrown in as well.

Apologies for the minor thread drift, but last fall I picked up a case of the 2012 Suenen Les Robarts. Never had it, but it came highly recommended as “something interesting”.

We are opening one in a couple of weeks at a tasting. Any comments on airing time- or even decanting if advisable- would be welcome. I have no idea what to expect which is a lot of the fun, but it would be nice to take steps to let it show its best.

Don’t have one. “House” is whatever Champagne gets opened while at home.

Legras bdb nv

I understand “house champagne” as one I regularly keep at home as a casual drink. That said, there is no one particular champagne. What I normally do keep on hand at home (as much as possible/available) are: Delamotte BdB NV; and,
Ulysse Collin Les Pierrières BdB NV.

Oh man that’s the first vintage! Never had it and not a lot of advice. The 2010 BdB is pretty tight and nervy, but really pretty good stuff. Mineral driven, but with enough chard and yeast richness to have balance with verve. I pop and pour damn near all of my champagne, so that’s probably what I’d do…into a full size red glass…and then just swirl and take your time.

Make sure you post a note. I’m really curious.

Although we have quite a few selections in various categories, the fav is probably NV Billecart-Salmon Rose although the 2012 Louis Roederer Brut and Brut Rose are getting a lot of love these days.

I think of it as something that I can easily restock and drink with reckless abandon (for me, that’s less than $50). I feel like, too often, I look at Cellartracker drink dates, then go downstairs, and read the disgorgment dates, and decide that none of my 130 bottles of champagne (even the NV’s) are quite ready and the few that are, I’m saving for special occasions. For me that’s NV Ployez-Jacquemart Extra Brut (at only $30 or $20 for 375’s). Before I found this, I was just going out and buying Roederer Estate the day of. Now I keep a case of Ployez-Jacquemart:

Disgorged March 2018; 2012 base (six years on the lees?), 39% Chardonnay, 22% Pinot Noir, 39% Pinot Meunier. Grapes are all premier cru or grand cru from near the village of Ludes in the Montagne de Rheims. WS, John Gilman, and Josh Reynolds all gave it 92 pts. It’s in a more rich and long style, with rose and pear/orchard notes (as compared to a citrus and mineral style). Jesus is it quaffable. Even better, I don’t have to think about when it’s going to reach its apogee.

Yes, that’s pretty much what I meant: a casual bubbly I keep on hand at home to open anytime. A good friend’s wine shop is the official Philippine distributor of both; so it’s not often that I run out.

This is true for me as well, and not just for Champagne.

I’ve also bought and cellared with a serious case of wine buying disorder for enough years now to have too many “special” bottles to be laying in cases of house wines. When I did have a house bubbly, many years ago, it was before the grower invasion hit. So it was always a NV from a big house, usually Pol Roger.

For larger groups where multiple bottles are opened at once, I’ve found Moncuit to be an inexpensive and readily available (Total Wine) compromise that appeals to the non-geeks where tastes run towards a bit of sweetness without being undrinkable for the more critical.

I have a bunch of the Roederer estate in halves coming. K&L had them for dirt cheap some time ago; now I am pissed I didn’t get them shipped before the weather turned. I’ve had it, and liked it, in the past, and for less than $10/bottle (I think?) seemed like a deal.

Hard to beat that and so nice in 375s. Makes it easy to start a dinner for two with a champers style and switch to a red for the main. And that is about the same price as this:

Just picked up a few Pierre Moncuit BdB to try. Getting warmer here in SoCal so these shouldn’t last long.