When spell checking matters.....Ooops. Sorry Raj.

Translation? You’ve lost me.

He feels you are shoveling dirt on a body you already buried. pileon Apparently only a chosen few Berserkers are allowed to correct grammar/spelling/usage and then stand behind their position.

Based on the last few responses I am with Fu.

[suicide.gif]

I am sort of getting that yes. I am guessing that those few commenting that it is not wrong are simply happy speaking with limited vocabularies, and feel it is right to continue to so hence the excuse making.

You would both be wrong then. It seems there is comfort in that.

There are many examples of words for branding that are misspelled: Proactiv, Chick-fil-A, Froot Loops, Krispy Kreme, Toys “Я” Us.

Let’s not take a shot at America just because you don’t understand marketing.

Miachle - do you really think this is deliberate “marketing” rather than a simply spelling mistake?!?

But isn’t it quite clear that each of those, like Troken, is an ignorant spelling mistake made by someone with limited cultural awareness rather than an intentional choice? I think that’s quite obvious and I wonder why anyone continues to argue otherwise.

I agree. We clearly are ignorant.

Did you just try to spell my name?

At least you are sort of getting something in the thread…

Ok, I’ve had my fun. Cheers to all. [cheers.gif] [snort.gif]

Oh I am quite comfortable taking a shot at America of today. Far too much CNN/Fox level awareness of the world and far too little actual understanding that America is not an island.

Marketing it would seem is something you may want to study a bit more. When a word such as trocken, a commonly used wine term in this community, is spelled so poorly as to not even indicate the intended short “o” sound but rather the long “o”, I can only assume it was a mistake.

The examples cited are clearly trying to appeal to certain markets. I wonder to what segment a spelling of the word trocken so clearly in error is trying to appeal? Maybe the excuse makers in this thread are beginning to define that segment a bit?

I’ll tell you what I am getting. I am getting that some in this thread have a capacity or tolerance for incorrect spelling that I do not. Such is life. Some like accuracy, others are happy without it. I am also getting that since it is suggested in disbelief that I “must travel in erudite, multi-lingual circles” because I understand how some words from other languages are spelled that some may be a little less aware than I had previously thought.

As was mine. [cheers.gif]

Do you know the expression “he’s digging a hole for himself”? I think that’s what Michael is alluding to.

You need to give up. Clearly, Raj chose to name his wine “Troken” to convey the notion of a dry German wine. As you see from Buzz’s photo, it is the name on the label. To suggest that Rajat Parr does not know the difference between “trocken” and “troken” is ridiculous. Your OP clearly is mocking him for what you thought was a misspelling, but is in fact an intentional choice of a name to convey an official style of German wines without using the official German term, like non-Italian cheeses labeled Parmesan (but hopefully better in quality).

:slight_smile: Yes, I do know the expression. I guessed that is what he meant, yet I cannot figure out how it is applicable. My understanding is that it is used to encourage someone not make a a bad situation they created even worse because they cannot ever be right.

In this case however I made a post about an obvious misspelling and several comments have been posted making excuses for that misspelling. I was even subtly chastised for being “nazi police” which I can assure everyone, given my heritage, I do not take lightly. I am puzzled by how the general approach of “what do you know anyway?” has proliferated in the thread.

A guy who makes wine made a mistake. Intentional or by accident, it fell flat with me and I indicated my wry amusement.

If one wishes to say she should not dig a hole for herself, one must first have a defensible position from which to sling such unkindness. Or so I live my life. Apparently that differs from some of the “happy to misspell” crowd.

Well an interesting opinion anyway, thanks. I do not need to give anything up however. It is incorrectly spelled and does not convey “trocken” at all. It simply looks like Americans yet again having no awareness of the world beyond their borders. Even someone as knowledgeable as Mr. Parr does not get a pass for that one, sorry.