When spell checking matters.....Ooops. Sorry Raj.

Ziemlich trocken!

There are greater forms of ignorance than spelling

You’re a peach. Promise me you’ll never change ok? Promise me that.

No, what we’re suggesting is that you may not be very tolerant of (or alert to) humor and playfulness.

Parr is (a) a well-known sommelier and (b) friends with Joseph Leitz, and (c) Leitz was involved in the project. That suggests that Parr (and Leitz) playfully corrupted the word for the label. That would be consistent with the humor of, “If at first you don’t succeed, DRY & DRY again!”

Moreover, I suspect there are legal reasons they couldn’t use “Trocken.” Since it’s a legally defined descriptive term under German and EU law, you probably can’t use it as a trademark. (Generally you can’t trademark a generic term.) Another possibility: The ATF’s label regulators, who are famous (dare I use the expression?) Nazis about labels, might have said that “Trocken” would confuse consumers into thinking the wine was German. That’s just speculation but not implausible if you know anything about the ATF’s history of nitpicking labels.

Finally, my quip about erudition came in response to your (remarkable) assertion that:

Nobody I have ever met who has even a passing familiarity with wine, be they American or otherwise, thinks trocken (which means dry) is spelled without the “c.”

If everyone you know who have ever taken a sip of wine knows how to spell trocken, then you really do travel in cultivated circles. What on earth are you doing here with us illiterates?

Brocken thred, Ken Italan cheese not Italian chees. The fact that Raj was the one who deliberately did it makes it even worse. The dumbing down of America continues.
The new trend of changing a spelling of a word to name a product. Kabbage Loans, Lyft ride services, Uber without the umlaut almost bugs me as much as all the new pairing names; Moss and Stone, Pig and Pickle, Monk and Ass, Bird and Bottle, Donkey and Warthog. Gag me and spoon.

John Morris wrote:
Few Americans know that “Stein” is pronounced stine, not steen.

I do! [wink.gif]

Thanks,
Ed

Edited to correct quote.

Yes indeed. It seems those here that would attempt to make excuses for this labeling are in fact not just being thought to be ignorant, but posting and removing all doubt.

Sorry but no. I grow and learn daily, or at least strive to do so. In travel there is new knowledge to discover. Seems there are a few here who could do with a little less Trump and a bit more travel. Oh, America, what happened?

The OP is offended by reference to her culture yet takes multiple swipes at other countries?

]

Yes in travel there are many new things to discover. For example, tonigh I traveled to this website via the intertubes and discovered perhaps the bravest person of all time standing up for the rights of troken wines throughout the world. There is hope for the rest of us.

I am intolerant of poor use of language. Labeling this example as playfulness or humor does everyone a disservice. It is simply a further dumbing down of America to have people as knowledgeable as Mr. Parr selling a product that he gets the joke about but that the average schmuck who will buy it will not. My belief is that in accruing as much knowledge as he has that he has a bit more of a fiduciary responsibility to drag America, kicking and screaming if he must, to a position of greater awareness. Just my opinion, but one to which I am entitled. :slight_smile:

I see this type of language sloppiness in the press and hear it in speech quite often and wonder why or when it became OK to be the person we were taught we would not have to be if we actually went to school. An example: Would you tolerate your kid saying they “chatted someone” on Snapchat? Or would you insist they say “chatted with someone”? There are numerous examples and I simply do not care for a backwards slide of the language or the people.

The legal reasons possibility is very real and is one of those things a good marketing team will overcome with other choices. This one is just lazy marketing if that is the case.

Yes I do principally know and spend time with people who can speak a number if languages, have traveled extensively, and who can in fact spell trocken among other non-English words. Does that make my circle cultivated? I see it as pretty normal actually. I think illiterate may be a bit of a stretch to describe anyone here as it is a text based board. :wink: I would use a variety of other terms for some though :slight_smile:

The heritage referenced, not culture, is Jewish. My nationality by birth is American. I take many swipes at America because it has become such an intolerable mess. The great thing is our constitution allows such “swiping” too.

[cheers.gif]

MOT for me and my wife.

You come across, at least on here, as troubled. I wish you happiness. Someday. [cheers.gif]

I am very happy already. You did come across as MOT at all calling people nazis. The shame. :frowning: I am troubled by the ignorance seen in this thread and in America in general these days. I would say most in this thread whose posts I have seen elsewhere had struck me as interesting individuals with who I might enjoy sharing a glass. I am quite certain now that I would find little pleasure in meeting some of them now.

Says America is intolerable yet loves his Conatitutional rights! :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow. To have immense pride in the constitution and many other documents and concepts on which America was built is not in any way in conflict with being critical of what the country has become today. The various issues which are so evident when viewed from afar, and some from right up close too, are owned by the people not the documents and founding concepts.

But yes she does love her “Conatitutional” rights :smiley:

Yes but how do you feel about Troken wine? Personally I’ve never had it but I find the word play simply to die for.

Troubled America?? Can We move this sh$t to the politics forum?

[cheers.gif]