Where to start with Cornas?

+1 for Franck Balthazar. His 2018 Sans Soufre Ajouté is drinking very well now.

I would also say that many of the wines will be approachable at 10+ years (still on the young side though). I had a fair share of tired 20+ years old Northern Rhone wines, also from top producers like Clape, Jamet and Gonon.

second Mickael Bourg, considering the drinkability with young bottles and the price

This.

2004s-2006s are drinking, and also despite the Rule of 15, many 2007s-2009s are too.

For what it’s worth, the 2008 Paris La Geynale was still pretty tight a week ago, but with a couple of hours of decanting, it was starting to come out of its shell and was quite promising. I’ll wait a few more years before I open another, so it is more or less following the 15-year rule. And this is Paris’s most “serious” bottling.

We went through a few bottles of Paris Geynale 16’s and 17’s and found them to be very enjoyable young. It could just be that we like young wine while it’s still on the fruit.

Hm, no mention of Lionnet? Oh well more for me [berserker.gif]

1 Like

I wouldn’t include the 09 vintage here - to me it’s one of the few vintages where Rhone and burgundy really don’t align. 09 Rhônes have a ton of structure. I had an 09 Reynard last month and it’s nowhere near ready on the palate imho.

1 Like

I totally agree with Robert re: the more open recent vintages. You can find a range of recent vintages from Domaine Lionnet - the Cornas Terre Brulee. Very authentic Cornas, not expensive. Go for 2014.

Mickael Bourg is rapidly rising in my estimation of excellent Cornas, right alongside Guillaume Gilles. Neither is light; I don’t often think of Cornas as “light,” but that’s all right. Jerome Despesse makes a slightly “lighter” (less tannic) but excellent Cornas, too; the 2017 is terrific.

I still subscribe to the Rule of 15.

1 Like

Agree. 09 Jamet is like a solid chunk of iron and granite at this stage.

1 Like

I was about to post this. I think post 2010 Lionnet is very good. It’s made in a slightly juicier style, since he blends his plots (I’ve tasted them separately and there’s a massive difference even from barrel) but the end result is an approachable wine that has more depth and structure than, say, Balthazar’s sans soufre (which is a fun wine in its own right).

For more structured Cornas, Balthazar’s Chaillot and Gilles main cuvee (not the R) would be my suggestions. Expensive, but not unreasonably so. I think both need some time to show their best.

As far as vintages, I generally agree with Rob that 04 and 07 are great for current drinking, but if you don’t have those, most 11s and 14s are in a pretty happy place. I’d avoid 13s as well right now; odd vintage.

I drink a fair amount of northern Rhônes and this is not at all my experience. As others have mentioned, the “Rule of 15” is a decent guide for when things are ready. The 2004s and the 2007s are drinking great - a number of us did a 2004 horizontal right before the pandemic and other than a couple of odd wines they’re ready to go.

Thanks for these thoughts on 2009, I was toying with finally popping 1 of the 4 Clape Cornas bottles that I bought on release. The 2010s are in deep deep slumber.

I think this is a good suggestion. They benchmarks are expensive, but still relatively attainable compared to other regions.

I’d look for a 2012 or 2014 Allemand Chaillot. Both are drinking really well right now and will give you a sense how good Cornas can be before you dive in…

Is the point to understand Cornas, or grab some trophy wines and claim to understand Cornas?

Those are two very different things.

2 Likes

I would drink a young (17-18) wine from a good but not top producer. Then look for an older specimen.

I would personally not recommend starting with a 17 or 18; I don’t think these will be a good representation of Cornas right now. Especially 18, which is a pretty solar vintage.

I love 2012 and 2014 Allemand, but I don’t think its representative of Cornas in general. I find Allemand to be a pretty singular producer in the Northern Rhone (and imho the best, by a real margin), much like Rayas or Bonneau are in CdP.

For that matter, what is the expectation of Cornas? Juge, Allemand and Clape can all be great Syrah, but nothing at all like each other. I used to think of Clape as what Cornas “is” but I’m not very sure that’s right.

Start with the Allemand 2010 Reynard which I have in my cellar. I can tell you that this is one incredible Cornas.
If you want something to really give you an idea of what Cornas can be, go with Clape 1991. I can guarantee this one.

2 Likes

“Start” with a wine that is trading for $500?

6 Likes