Which Burg vintages to drink in 2022?

Hah, I think you know the answer to that one Howard!

1 Like

Definitely not. Enjoy them and as is so often the case "beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

1 Like

I am holding my 2005s and 2010s so I need a great vintage to drink.

The better 1er Crus and Village 2011, most 2007s, many 2006s ā€¦ (2004), 2003, most 2002 2001, 2000, some 1999, 1998 and older (incl. most 1996) ā€¦

I donā€™t have the expertise to offer much value on white burgs, so all my comments are about red.

I have less recent experience with 20th century red burgs, but I wouldnā€™t worry about opening any of them. I find the divergence of opinion on the readiness of 1999 interesting. For sure, I expect the 99ā€™s to last for decades more, all the way down to some good village wines.

From the 2000-2009 period, I wouldnā€™t touch 2005 or 2009. Both offer enjoyment now, but may offer profundity in the future. All the others are fair game, and the lesser wines probably should be opened. Honestly, Iā€™ve been saying that about 2000 for a decade, and yet the wines still deliver. I have less experience with 2003, but they shouldnā€™t be in danger of falling apart soon.

From 2010 on, I think 2010 was always great, is still great, and will be great for at least another decade or two. You just canā€™t go wrong with many of them at any age. Will they last as long as 2005 or 2009? I doubt it, but I donā€™t care. Drink if you like, you wonā€™t have a bad experience.

I would drink or sell 2011, and am beginning to feel the same about 2013. I believe they will be interesting but not great with more age, and that used to acceptable when burg was affordable, but is a bitter pill at current pricing. Iā€™m sure my buddy, Tom Blach, will look askance at these words, but he has a soft spot in his heart for interesting burgs.

Iā€™d advise against opening 2012 or 2015 because the former is too stern and the latter promises much more, like 2005 and 2009.

I wouldnā€™t open 2014 and 2016 now, because they are firmly in their window of disappointment. They were both bright and delicious young, and I expect them to be even better in a decade.

Some 2017ā€™s are still open and lovely, though Iā€™d avoid the sterner winemakers. This vintage might follow in the footsteps of 2000 and 2007, and never shut down, but who knows?

2018 and 2019 are a safe bet if you enjoy burg for its primary fruit. These are especially ripe years.

Here is my $0.02 on reds - which is slightly different from others. Also contemplates what to buy if Iā€™m in a restaurant with a generally young list. Obviously climat materially affects these generalizations.

2019 - Hold
2018 - Hold
2017 - Young drinking vintage. So open for ā€œscienceā€ or probably my first choice if Iā€™m limited to recent vintages off a restaurant list.
2016 - Hold
2015 - Hold
2014 - Hold/young drinking and would order off a list
2013 - Young drinking - a better 2011 - would order off a list
2012 - Hold
2011 - Starting to turn the corner - I feel like these are 100 percent better from 3 years ago. Drink or hold.
2010 - Still too young - patience will be rewarded.
2009 - Never shut down, but hold because they will improve
2008 and 2006 - I think these vintages are twins of sort - for me, generally weedy and green - both now turning the corner and much improved for drinking - but holding a little longer will reward.
2007 - Drink now.
2005 - Hard hold
2002, 2001, 2000 - drink - especially 2000
1999 - Drink or hold.
1998 - Some still very tannic - otherwise drink
1997 - Drink - some surprises
1996 - Drink - a better 1995
1995 - Drink

2 Likes

ā€¦ and 2004 + 2003 ?
[scratch.gif]

I donā€™t have any 2004s as I sold or gave them away years ago. The last two 04s I had were a Truchot and a de Vogue 1er - so not likely representative (Truchot was excellent, as usual, and de Vogue was short of typical; neither wine was green).
On 2003 - I assume this vintage will last forever - they have always seemed open and drinkable to me. Amazing to me that 03 was such an anomaly given the weather in recent years.

What do you think?

Add Mugneret-Gibourg and dā€™Angerville to the list of producers who made good 2004s. But, I agree that the list is short.

What have you had from 2003 other than Truchot?

Well, if you arenā€™t why are bithering with burgundy?

Personally I will likely to be drinking mostly 2001, 2002, 2007 & 2011. I will continue to hold the 1999s I have as so far most seem not ready.

Exactly! (bithering is a new term for me, but I like it.)

[rofl.gif]

Hard to remember off the top of my head, but certainly have had enough to decide I didnā€™t want to invest. Of things Iā€™ve drunk and still have some left in the cellar, the list is short. But I still have some Lambrays (maybe half of the case), some Leroy Pommard and some Chevillon Cailles left. All these have been pretty delicious and with ripe 03 typicity, but obviously not much typicity otherwise. The Truchots have been memorable. But thatā€™s obviously only of value to a few. It is interesting how the winemaking has shifted since to better accommodate the climate.

1 Like

Am I the only one who really loves the way the 2010 have been drinking for a while. I know we all have very high expectations for the future ā€¦ but I really get high reward when I open a bottle of 2010 now. This includes Fourrier of course but also less young attractive producers such as recently a Bichot Latricieres 2010 which was great as well as the traditional suspects Grivot, Barthod, Mugnier, Roumierā€¦ at village level. Moreover, those I have had do not seem to have the weight and density of vintages such as 99, 05,ā€¦

Have people really had good experiences with their 1995s recently? The last one I had (a Drouhin Amoureuses about a year ago) seemed like it needed a lot more time.

I think it doesnĀ“t matter very much when you drink the 2004s - they will suvive for a while but never gain any charme ā€¦ and the drinkability depends on the level of greenness. My least favorite vintage for decades ā€¦

Reg.2003: Most are drinking very well now ā€¦ IF you accept the style of the hot vintage ā€¦ in my experience many have shed off the intense ripe fruitiness and gained more structure, even acidity often comes through in a better way ā€¦ so in 5-10 years many will taste more ā€œburgundianā€ than many tasters initially thought. The vintage is still not attractive for ā€œpuristsā€ but can provide a lot of pleasure for the ā€œnon-intellectualā€ drinkers. (but I donĀ“t want to convince the 03-haters ā€¦)

What IĀ“ve been served v.2010 over the last months was simply too primary, too young, giving not enough for me ā€¦ why waste a 2010 if I have enough more mature bottles in the cellar [scratch.gif]

very tannic hard vintage. Reminds me of 88 which has come around.

I agree with you completely, Antoine. They were great as babes, still are great in their adolescence, and will be great as they mature. Wish I bought much more.

1 Like

Nobody drinking whites?
Premox is fake.
[wink.gif] [cheers.gif]