Which Carlisle are you drinking?

Alan, I’m not making excuses for Carlisle, but Cardiac Hill was Mike’s leanest, most European Syrah, grown on an extremely severe hillside, and I loved it. Could that lean Euro-ness correspond with what you describe as short?

Anyway, I think it was way less popular than say, Papa’s Block, and Mike no longer makes it.

I miss Carlisle Cardiac Hill. :frowning:

2004 Carlo’s Zinfandel on Sunday night…this wine is in a perfect spot…rich, jammy, zin berry fruit and vanilla spice. Slightly sweet fruit with no tannins. Drink up…Yum!

'07 Montafi is probably one of the best zins ever made. Enjoy!

Looking at CT, I own more bottles of Carlisle than the # I have consumed since 2006. Considering Carlisle is also the largest producer total in the cellar, I think I need to get busy and contribute to this thread. I’ll start with the 2005s.

A big + 1 on the 07 Montafi, best Zin I have ever had.

07 Papa’s block was opened on Saturday, a very nice and complete wine. I must say though, my expectations were sky high, probably too much so, as I thought I would have been even more enamored with it.

2009 Carlisle Vineyard Zinfandel. Continues to drink very well. Its balance suggests that it’s at its peak, but I think it will hold for a few year. I’ll try the 2007 next week.

08 JBV - very youthful, needed much more air than it got. Got so little air because it was delicious and we killed it quickly.

Baby killer tonight.

2013 Dupratt.

2012 Two Acres. Needed 24 hours to really show what it has, lush, deep red fruit, excellent acidity and balance, fantastically flavorful. Despite the predominant mourvedre, makes me thing of a riper year Vieux Telegraphe.

I drank an '07 Montafi from magnum last Saturday night. Our table loved it.

2008 Two acres tonight

Cork smelled like vinegar

Wine was fine, im not sure what im smelling though, its brett, TCA or something. It doesn’t spoil the taste but it does affect the nose

Drank a 2006 Sonoma Syrah. In a beautiful spot. Complex and smooth. This was the vintage that started my love of Carlisle wines. My average price per bottle in my cellar has gone down every year since finding Carlisle (I can buy meat to go along with the rice and beans now).

And that’s what I have on for tonite also.

2013 Sonoma Cty Zin. Big spice and dark fruit after being open an hour or so. Slightly sweet. Drink now or hold.

Perfect cork, terrific wine. Another awesome job by Mike champagne.gif

Glad you enjoyed it Mark. The '08 has always been one of my favorites but Two Acres has been on a roll lately. We poured the '13 for people picking up last Saturday and got a lot of compliments. At the moment, it seems pretty open and ready but it may shut down for a few years as other vintages have done. Time will tell.

09 SLH Syrah. Smoke, citrus, camphor. Big. Needs time for my tastes.

I’m very, very bad. Didn’t even make it home from the pickup today before I opened a bottle. Visiting friends at their new place up in the Knights Valley hills. Had to open a 2013 Montafi Zin. All I can say is it was one of the best Zins I’ve had :slight_smile:

Alan, must have missed you at the pickup today. I was there around 2pm. Really liked the 2013 Papera Zin they poured today, and the 2013 Two Acres. Can’t wait to order them in the fall.

Harold, sorry to have missed you! we left around 1:30, could not afford to stay and eat any more pizza :wink: Agree on those wines, as well as the Gruner. Based on the three 13 reds I sampled today, it’s a great Carlisle vintage.