Which RIDGE are you drinking?

Pray tell, how was a Ruby Cabernet from Ridge?

It was very good. Medium bodied, lighter color than the Montebellos. It had a fresher, fruitier component (red fruit vs black for Montebellos). It wasn’t nearly as complex. I’d certainly be happy to taste it again!

Visiting 2 sons in Houston over the weekend we had dinner at Killen’s Steakhouse. Had a bottle of 2013 Geyserville to start and it was just great. I tried one of these when it first got to my retailer in TN last year I think. I remember thinking “Whoa, this is really spectacular” so I went back and bought the rest of the case he had. Glad I did.

Congrats!!!

Anyone tried the 2014 Geyserville? I love the 2013 but TomH said the 2014 is better, I recall.

Yes, it’s spectacular. More structured and complex than any young Geezer I’ve had. Seems like one for the ages. But… the fruit is in balance, so for my tastes it’s drinkable now, when I find many baby Geezers undrinkably over-the-top fruit-wise, needing years to tone down into something of beauty. (Still, I won’t drink any of my own bottles young.)

2007 Geyserville.

Agree with Larry’s note. That was actually the third time I’ve had the '68 Monte Bello Ruby Cab, and the least impressive showing. Never had any of theirs young, since the last vintage was '84, iirc. From what I’ve had, maybe 2 out of 3 vintages had a weird pasty quality along with the red fruit. Several years ago we did a blind flight with 6 vintages plus ringers of the regular and alternative* bottlings of '76 Monte Bello. The '76 Ruby Cab was just a tick behind the other two '76s. (*this had 15% Merlot, being the first non-100% CS MB.)

Chris you’re probably right about READING the threads, but threads like these make people POST on wines they otherwise might not. I don’t see myself starting a new thread on some Ridge zin I had, but I might add that TN to this thread. You can’t read what isn’t posted.

Hooker Creek 2014 last night the oakiest of five wines (the others an Aussie cab, an Aussie shiraz, a Calif pinot, and a Carlisle) but also the youngest by far so it will settle down.

You wrote what I wrote before I wrote it. Plagiarizer.

oh when I was working in the biz I took two salespeople from the co. and two customers to Germany, where I know my way around fairly well. Last night of the trip was in the Pfalz, in a nice little hotel/restaurant in Siebeldingen… best wine of the night was Ridge Geyserville 1994 for 28€ on the list…
It hovered weightlessly between Bordeaux and Veneto for the twenty minutes it survived on the table.

Agree with Wes and Tom on the Geyserville- I thought the 13 was great but recently opened a 14 and liked it even more. Better balance and deeper flavors.

favourite Geyserville was ’73; other greats were ‘91 and ‘85…

90 Geyser was CA WOTV.

Had a 91 Lytton Springs a few months back that was fantastic.

Have a 90 in storage that I might have to snag soon thanks to this thread :slight_smile:

Thanks Todd!

This past April I had a 1978 Ridge Coast Range Zinfandel. This is in my top 5 zinfandels drunk to date. I still clearly remember this bottle, it was extremely fresh and had loads of spice and zip on the palate. A bargain at around $125 at the place that shall not be mentioned.

2013 East Bench. Nice, varietally spot-on, good QPR.

It’s a good point. I can see how it’s kind of easier and “safer” to post a quick impression of something in a thread like this, when you wouldn’t have started a new thread about it.

Thanks for the explanation.

This wine still lives?? Absolutely amazing.

The CoastRange series was the leftover stuff Ridge bttld & moved out the door for a song during the '70’s. They were rather
light & pleasant enough for what they were. I once rented a U-Haul and brought down from LiquorMart/Boulder some
60 cases of Ridge CoastRange Zin '73 for my group. We got it at $2.79/btl, when normal price was arounf $5/btl.
They even, once, made a CoastRange PinotNoir.
Tom

1 Like