Which RIDGE are you drinking?

The 2009 Geyserville we opened last week showed lots of fruit, but was still a bit disjointed IMO. (Though like most Ridge wines, better with food than tasted on its own.) Good potential – I think I like this more than the nice 2007.
Regards,
Peter

Paul Draper announced his retirement.

(sorry, Ken V - doing your job for you)

I really liked the 07 Geyserville on release, but never as much in subsequent years when it seemed a little diffuse for a Geezer. It is an unusual cepage in 07 (only 58% Zinfandel, with 22% Carignane, 18% Petite Sirah and 2% mataro), so that could complicate things.

Anyone had it of late? Is it coming around?

2011 Ridge Zinfandel Buchignani Ranch

Very smooth and drinking well at the moment. Sweet and sour fruit and American oak with good acidity and balance. I dig it.

Steve Timko opened an 84 Geyserville last night. An interesting contrast to a 95 Barolo.

Opened a 2006 York Creek Zin last night. 99% Zin, 1% PS per label. At first wiff a whole lotta Draper Perfume, which blew off after about 20 minutes. Really enjoyable berry flavors, light bramble just a really enjoyable drink. My wife made the comment that she really liked it, twice!

Had the '14 last night at dinner at Lola (Cleveland). Tom Hill and Wes Barton are right-this is the best Geezer I recall in quite some time. It transcends the grape varieties it’s made from. I suppose one could say that’s a deficit and not a good thing, but that would be wrong-headed; it’s just coiled tight and needs time to unfold, but right now the wine is still both beautiful and immensely enjoyable. Silk entry, fine graphite and blackberry, and then a gossamer finish. Impeccable balance from start to finish, whatever oak is present is not detectable. My only demerit would be the fairly tight nose, which is bound to open up one day. My wife asked if this cost more than $200 and I understood why; it drinks like a wine that costs that much. A year ago when the '13 came out I was bowled over by it’s expressive mid-palate but the '13 is a bit coarse, brash, and un-refined compared to this. Need I say more?

Wow!!!

Nice to hear, Mitch. I loved the 12 and 13 as well. My 14s come in on Tuesday.

Popped the 2009 Lytton Springs last night. This is the vintage that got too sweet for me, stopped buying after 2012. Just buying Geyserviile and the Cab these days, which are the two wines that got me hooked on Ridge anyway.

14 Geezer. Just so freaking good. Carignane stands out more to me than in past vintages but everything is working together really well. A more “elegant” Geyserville but still packed with flavor. Drinking great now for being so young but I’m sure it will age well.

After this has opened up a bit more, i don’t think “elegant” is the right descriptor. I’d say red fruited/high toned is more appropriate.

Either way, a killer wine and one I’ll stock up on. Highly recommended.

1986 Monte Bello showed very well last night. 90% Cab Sav, the rest Merlot. Very lively with good fruit, medium acid and resolving tannins.

Good stuff Glenn! Always a treat to pop an aged MB.

Glad it showed well!

Celebrating a friend’s birthday and pending move to Palm Springs! 1962 and 1963 Ridge (Montebello), 1996 Ridge Montebello. champagne.gif
IMG_0916.jpg

Found some for $40…been drinking them like water!!
image.jpg

How are the cab estates?

Ummmm. Can I be your friend.

Assuming not…we at least deserve some tasting notes on these bad boys (pretty please)!!

My new water…

$27…LOVE this! More dryness…less sweetness and oak…still rich and ripe fruit and Zin-ness…fantastic! [cheers.gif]

Nice. Just put in an order for some 14 Zins - Lytton, Pagani, Jimsomare.