Which Rivers Marie wine are you drinking?

2018 RM Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir-After reading some very nice notes on this, I thought I would pop one, even though I prefer my RM Pinot with some age on it. Followed over three days. Quite dark, but still ruby, with a primary fruit nose that does not quite have the RM aromatics yet (likely due to being very young). The nose popped more on day two as did some complexity on the palate. Bing cherry, some spice and a hint of vanilla (which will likely fade with time), this is the gold standard in QPR Pinot.

'14 Corona Cab, Zoom night. Came out of the gate smoking and had layers of dark and red fruit and impeccable balance. No need to rush to open this but if you do, it will deliver a ton of hedonistic flavor.

'18 SC Pinot a few nights later. Tasted like a Cab lover’s pinot, which is just fine by me. Really good weight on the palate and reminded me a little of a Silver Eagle Jr. edition that night. I loved it but will hold my remaining SC allocation and drink in 1-2 years, as I think the bottle age will help.

'15 Silver Eagle last night. Delivered all the goods in SE fashion, with nice weight and depth, some marine influence and a seemless and smooth finish. '11 still is my favorite vintage, but this one gives it a run for the money.

Opened an '18 R-M SC chard yesterday. Wow. Talk about punching above your weight class. Expressive in many ways. My daughter (a lovely millennial) had a glass, and literally said, “whoa, do you have more bottles of this”. Alas, I now have 2 btls left. I’ll have to guard those very carefully…can never be too careful around family…

2015 Pinot SC-This was quite dark and very aromatic, with pine needles, macerated cherries and some damp earthiness. More complex on the palate than the 2018 of the same wine recently, but that may well just be bottle age. Very nice and a steal for $30.

I received 3x 2018 Sonoma Coast allotment and opened right away. I found it amazing, so much so I seemed out and purchased 4 more for $39 per. About two weeks ago I got a ‘tip’ (what can I say, people look out for me) and grabbed 9 more for $35.50 per. I have enjoyed 2 and am sitting on 14 more and to tell the truth, I can’t imagine they will last the year.

My single Platt will have to wait.

Steve, I opened the same bottling within the past couple weeks…your note is spot on. Terrific value for an excellent wine!

2013 Lore Vineyard Cab-Taste just like the vintage, massive structure, dark and tannins that coat every crevice of the mouth. Blackberry, iron and that red soil flavor from Oakville. I love this style as it is not jammy, but wait a decade.

Blind-light gold, smells of tangy pineapple, hints of melon, matchstick and minerals/rocks. Cornucopia of yellow fruits on the palate, but lots of structure and minerality. I thought this was an excellent premier cru Burg for 2014 or 2017. Alas, it is the RM 2018 Thieriot Chard. Superb. No CA butter or fatness. Should age beautifully.

I’ve got two purchased on release. HMU if you want to try another with better provenance

'15 Summa Old Vine Pinot last night. Powerful, poised, deep and delicious. Years of good drinking ahead.

• 2015 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/10/2021)
    This is not a subtle, timid Pinot Noir. It is still elegant, but it’s elegant and forceful at the same time (iron fist/velvet glove). Dark for a Pinot. Good quality and refined from front to back.

Ripe, bright, crisp cherry and orange zest. Nutmeg and spice, with a long finish. The red/orange character is quite distinctive.

Similar to the 2015 R-M Occidental Ridge we had a month ago (Christmas Eve). I wonder how much fruit comes from that vineyard?

2018 Silver Eagle Pinot - nice to have this btg at Pirozzi
Cherry, cranberry and some pine needle. More fruit forward than the 18 Summa, very aromatic. Delicious and a crowd pleaser.

1 Like

2014 RM Sonoma Coast Chardonnay. Amazing. Quite the surprise. Crisp, balanced, great flavor. I expect this will continue to improve for several more years. Really enjoyed this. Hard to believe how classy this was for an entry level offering.

1673488F-FBE3-4A25-AA99-18DBA47617DD.jpeg
Rivers Marie 2013 Panek, purchased on release from winery.
Opened 2 hrs before dinner (steak, grilled veggies, salad), slow-oxed 2 glasses.
No sediment in the neck, but a little turbidity which made me think about decanting, but didn’t. Once we got to the bottom 1/4 of the bottle wished I would have decanted due to the fine grained sediment. Great purple, garnet color.
Absolutely beautiful nose. Smelled special immediately. Black currant, cherry & licorice, bit of spice.
Didn’t taste until dinner. Loads of dark fruits, cherry, a bit of blueberry. Firm tannin, but not harsh. Smooth & complex. No obvious oak, very balanced.
I wouldn’t call this a powerful wine, never would guess a 2013 Napa. Medium to light mid-palate, medium but long finish. Very enjoyable.

opened a 2008 SC pinot the other night, going strong! delightful wine.

I took a 2015 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast to a 4th of July BBQ and it was amazing.

Had. 2015 Sonoma coast Chardonnay last night that was excellent.

Last night we had a 2016 R-M Silver Eagle pinot. Stunning!!

We had a 15 Napa Cab Father’s Day Weekend. Very enjoyable.

Any info or recommendations you guys have on the RM club? My wife and I will be visiting in November. Looks like there isn’t much info on their website right now.

I didn’t write a note on it, but a recent bottle of the 2012 RM Napa cab was really terrific. Best one yet. Sadly, also my last one.

1 Like