Which wine region would you live in?

Sonoma

The Langhe

International—Alsace

US—Santa Ynez Valley: Burgundy, Rhône, and Napa climates all within 30 miles or so of one another.

Somewhere close to Lyon would be pretty sweet.

Have a second home or homestead? To me that makes a world of difference. My wife lived abroad for a while and we’ve both done some extended vacations in Europe, and with those experiences I am reluctant to say that I’d probably pick somewhere in the US.After spending some extended times abroad there are comforts that living in the US has brought that I really like living with. Nothing deal breaking, but the small things. Speaking in your native tongue, Home Depot, Weber Grills, Frosted Flakes, WiFi everywhere, etc… (I will preface this criticism with saying my views are a decade old, we haven’t gotten out much recently, especially with young kids)

Maybe Oregon or the Finger Lakes. I’m really into mountains and lush forests.

If we are talking about a second home to visit often, I would probably be picking Piemonte or Provence.

Probably Ribera del Duero because:

1. The language isn’t an issue;
  2. I love the food & wine in Spain in general; and,
  3. Pretty easy drives to Madrid, Segovia, Salamanca, etc. for when I get bored at home.

This. Really anywhere on the northern coast of Spain.

[thumbs-up.gif]

Visited 4 times in the last 10 years, at different months of the year. Terrific foodie place.

But, the frequent rain, in that part of Spain, is always a pain.

For the last 3 summers, I have been living in Languedoc about 7 miles southeast from Montpellier and 15 min to the to Beaches and to Sete. I live surrounded by vineyards and in a community that has weekly night markets, food trucks and entertainment. I can drive 15 min and buy Oysters and other fish from the Etang du Thau and pick up some Picpoul along the way.

I have calculated our cost of living every year and despite gasoline being over $10 a gallon, my cost of living is 30% less than living in the US. Also, Even though we move about quite a bit throughout the region attending concerts and open food markets, I have rarely seen another American (occasionally a Brit or 2 ).

Alas, not this summer, unfortunately …

Que trombone slide…

Provence would be at the top of my list, although I’ve read that the Mistral that blows in during the winter literally drives some people to suicide.

Sounds wonderful. Our most cherished type of place and and experience. Cheers!

duplicate ?!

Adelaide (Barossa) or Tuscany. Flip a coin. Beautiful areas with great wine and value.

Definitely Alsace. Maybe Bergheim or Kayserberg.
https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/posting.php?f=1&mode=quote&p=3009318&sid=c1deecdce331bed427899b971430cd66#

Bellet, which is a tiny appellation, about 15 minutes north of Nice.

Champagne

Tuscany, specifically in the Panzano, Radda, Castellina triangle in the center of the Chianti Classico region. Quick access to both Florence and Siena. Short drive to the Maremma coast or the Adriatic coast and Arezzo. Montalcino and Montepulciano also nearby. A virtual wine and food wonderland.

champagne.gif