Which wine region would you live in?

Good question!

Santa Cruz Mountains. I came close to moving there. Part of me will always regret it, but I actually came even closer to moving to Bainbridge Island, not really wine country.

Good to see several mentions of Savoie, which would be on my list. I don’t want to be in a city, but the country outside of Chambery or Grenoble will be fine, thank you. Or just stay in Savoie but move to Italy… Aosta.

I own a vineyard in Roussillon and love it immoderately, but maybe just a little too hot and dry where my vineyard is. So I’ll hop over to Emporda. Even on this board, probably not a lot of people who know much about it, but it’s amazingly beautiful, very much like Roussillon, but cooler and greener.

Dan Kravitz

I would want to live in Central Otago…good people, beautiful place, and far less racism than the US.

Dan, I would recommend a visit to the Dali Museum in Figueres, if you haven’t yet done that. Cheers.

Yep, Bolzano would be where I would move to if I could.

Woodinville, WA

OK, just kidding. I already live near it and considering it the silliest excuse for a wine region on the planet.

You’re brave!

[winner.gif]

Just a loyal supporter…

catalunya…montsant…emporda…wine is fine but the place is just paradise. super chill beaches and coves…endless miles of friendly roads for cyclists…great weather, food and its inexpensive.

Southern Styria … called Austrian Toscana …
Although Burgundy has great wines the landscape isn’t that impressive …
Chateauneuf or Provence can be nice, but also extremely hot in the summer … and when the Mistral is blowing …

I couldn’t stand the summers in most of my favorite wine regions – way too warm for this native of the Pacific Northwest. Other than the Willamette Valley (close to where I do live here in pdx), my choices would be Mendocino, Muscadet. and Marlborough.

Easy, Tuscany.

I’ve spent my entire live in Mendocino county and feel very blessed. Close enough to the Bay Area when we feel the urge or want to see a Giants game. Takes a few hours to get up to the Sierra’s, 90 mins from the ocean.

I’ve been to Stellenbosch a couple of times and would give it a try. South Africa has been good to me when I’ve visited before. Good food, nice people and lots of hunting/fishing opportunities.

Probably Champagne. Only an hour from Paris.

Or Malibu. The wines are mediocre, but it’s Malibu!

Does Cupertino, CA count?

Walla Walla. Great golf course and wines and the weather is outstanding.

Ridge Vineyards is in Cupertino, so…

I assume you’re really talking about down here in the valley, like 15-20 minutes from some world-class estate wineries, with others just a bit further. Great food scene. Great wine scene. Urban wineries and other wine regions in every direction. I can think of other places I wouldn’t mind living, but the trade-offs would make them a step down.

Santa Barbara

• good vineyards
  • good source for farm to table food
  • warm ocean
  • beautiful beaches
  • close vicinity to good hikes / riding
  • good pot :wink:

There is a little town in Provence called Paradou. Has a lovely little wine shop and the local wines are cheap and cheerful. Close to Les Baux and Saint Remy. If it is good enough for Julia Child, it is good enough for me. Would play petanque all afternoon and drink pastis…just heaven.

Southern Rhone. Great place, love the wines and within reasonable driving distance to Provence, Tuscany and Piemonte.