Whole cluster__Winemakers what do you think about this line?

Footstomped some whole-cluster Grenache and Syrah with Steve Edmunds last fall - been awhile since I’d done that. Took some time to get used to that cold fruit in the bins, but the stems were easier on my ankles than the last time I’d footstomped whole clusters. Hope the wine doesn’t have any “interesting aromatics” from my feet! [wink.gif][/quote]

Is that where native yeasts come from? [snort.gif]

I’ve never heard of anyone eating oak staves either, but people don’t mind that in their wine.

We are 100% whole cluster on all of our reds (7 Mourvèdre and 1 Petite Sirah).

With 100% whole cluster, I feel like babysit the press a little more than I would if we gettin’ all fancy and destemmed-- But that could just be a combo of being neurotic and thinking it is a good time / place to sneak a beer(s).

We usually have a high % of whole berry fermentation (minimal to low treading), but it varies by lot and by vintage based on the qualities of the fruit. I think the % of whole berry greatly affects the sensation of whole-clustery-ness vs potential stemmy-ness

Back to the OP- I’d be leery of people that compare wine with spaghetti sauce. That guy sounds reckless!

Hardy, you make seven DIFFERENT Mourvèdre bottlings?

Yessir. Crazy train. In 2013 we made 6 single vineyard and 1 “Especial”

The tomato is part of the deadly nightshade family and have always believed the stems and leaves to be deadly poisonous. Turns out I and many others were wrong including Rodale:
http://www.rodalenews.com/research-feed/tomato-leaves-edible-after-all-these-years

An offshoot question to this excellent discussion: I seem to mostly hear of stem inclusion in pinots and Rhones. Does anyone do stem inclusion in Bordeaux varietals? Or the major Italian red varietals (Sangiovese and Nebbiolo)? How about zinfandel? Tempranillo?

If the answer to all or some of those is no, what is the quick answer for why not? Is it that those (other than zin I guess) are already more tannic varieties than pinot and Rhones?

Very interesting discussions - thanks.

Paging Richard Jennings + 1.

Chris, my Home Vineyard bottling has tempranillo and tannat in it, along with grenache and syrah, and 100% stem inclusion (whole cluster). Works great.

And I do a bottling with about 50% nebbiolo too, also 100% whole cluster.

I’d love to find some interesting Cab Franc to try whole cluster. That might be testing the limits!

Only 4 Mourvedre vineyards for me this year . . . I’m slacking!!!

Gotta believe that the fact you don’t do much foot treading leads to a more ‘carbonic’ type end product, right? I know you don’t keep your wines in ‘storage’ (oak, concrete, whatever you ‘new kids’ are using these days [snort.gif] ) so this would make the wine more ‘accessible’ younger, right?

I tread the heck out of mine, but I’m after a different ‘end result’ me thinks . . .

Cheers!

I do a Tempranillo for the Pierces that’s about 15% whole cluster, the rest whole berry. Any more and I fear it’ll taste too reedy – I like for there to be the fruit present to balance the clusters. I also do a petite sirah that’s about 30% whole cluster that has some fans. Zin has never seemed like a grape, to me, that would benefit, but then I’m confused by all the attention that zin gets.

I’m not sure, but I think Burlotto includes stems in the Monvigliero Barolo, which is foot-pressed and sees macerations of up to 60 days. But everything about that wine is outside the norms.

I mentioned GB upthread as that’s my understanding of the Monvigliero vinification. It seems unlikely he’s the only one, but I don’t know of another Piemonte producer who does this. I really like the wine, though I’ve only tasted young bottles (most recently the '09 . . . which, um, needs time).

Greg,

Outstanding post…

Zillions of names, styles that involve stems and berries… Each grape must has a profile I often think anything more added via contact or exposure in any form is like adding a garnish to the meal … Stems that I have worked with always have given me a pepper or spice note…

Whole-cluster Gewürztraminer for a clean aromatic gentle wine full of round perfect angles… Also if you are not going to do a ML whole-cluster pressing via cold carbonic maceration gives you a high risk wine/reward, as far as dealing with VA s …

So depending on the intensity of the spice of the stems, depending if the wine is going to do a ML, depending on how he VA demons treat your wine, stems are wonderful, like anything else in proper measure, this is where the art of making wine shines…

Great thread… Cheers !!!

Stylistically different, but I know we are both trying to take it down to funky town. :slight_smile:

Above it was asked about BDX varieties-
Arnot-Roberts did 1 100% WC Cab a few years back- Vare Vineyard?
Enfield’s 2012 Cazadero Cab is 50% (and stunning).

For the non-Rhones- Hank’s La Clarine Home Vineyard is f’n amazing

I think Rorick did 100% WC Sangio-

But a lot of Zins have that pepper and spice characteristic. Is whole cluster not common with Zins?

I know of at least one producer in the Southern Rhône who told me he includes only the ripe(st) stems, and not the green ones. It’s apparently possible to tell by the mere look of it (kinda bright green for unripe ones, brownish for ripe one, from what I understand). It made sense to me when explained this way.

My understanding is ( to be sure ) they often take a very small bite of the stem to taste ( or test ) its ripeness.

Yes I guess it’s a way … Lignification, if any meaningful development of ripe stems, not green tannins the polymerization is essential , green or ripe stem tannins are second in astringency to seeds… These kind of tannins along with polyphenols and polysaccharides in combination with heat…

we must think ripe stems and now the heat catalyst as to contact time … Each grape genotypes expresses contact in its unique way via duration, ripeness and geomatics expression that the grape has the propensity to deliver… Cheers !!!

merci…John [thankyou.gif]