Why did Screaming Eagle Scrap 17's if there is no problem

Sorry, not you :slight_smile:

Alan referenced it in his post. I meant to say that I agreed with you, and would add…

[cheers.gif] [berserker.gif]

I know they were picked right before the fires. As to when vis a vis Screamer? Not a clue.

Ian - Doesn’t the statement by Gislason that Galloni quoted (see Michael’s post #18 above) answer that question? He went out in the vineyard and tasted the fruit and realized it was ruined. Sure sounds like it was not yet picked!

I missed that post! I didn’t want to say something that wasn’t correct with regard to Screamer. I just wanted to note that I had tried wines from neighboring vineyards that were unaffected by smoke. There seems to be a lot of questioning “what has smoke and what doesn’t.” I’m sure it will only grow as we get closer to release dates.

Can’t we just call the wineries?

Well . . .

That assumes that they would tell you with certainty. it very well maybe that some grapes were picked before and some grapes were picked after and that’s what they would tell you.

The other issue to me is whether the fermentations were babysat closely after the fires or left unchecked for a while.

let us know if you make any calls and what is told to you please.

It’s not terribly important to the overall discussion, but note that the Tubbs fire started at 9:43 pm on Sunday. I can imagine the winemaker went out into the vineyard Monday morning and decided that the level of smoke was so large it had to affect the grapes, but I would be surprised if he could already tell by tasting the fruit.

-Al

I would worry about potential untended fermentations, but more for reasons other than smoke taint.

-Al

I really do not buy California Cabernet these days. So I will not be making any phone calls . All one could reasonably expect when calling the winery with this question is an honest answer, regardless of how simple or complicated it may be.

A couple thoughts. We know of a couple growers who picked their smoke tainted grapes and dumped them. We know of one winery that lost an entire vintage due to a winemaker error. Shit happens. Then again, when shit happens there are a number of thriving businesses related to the “healing” of errant juice. A lot of mistakes can be filtered out and an incomplete wine bolstered in the right direction. SE may have “scrapped” their 17 vintage but the juice may have gone to the secondary market for $$$$, where it will be chemically corrected and blended into a wine you may be buying because it is so good for the price. For all I know you may be able to add smoke to cheap juice to give it the “toasted oak” characteristics.

Can’t we just fly a helicopter to Screaming Eagle?

Couldn’t the whirling blades of all the Screaming Eagle buyers’ helicopters swarmed above the fields to keep the smoke away? I mean really, such an easy solution. Woulda been like a giant Kryptonite shield.

What is your fixation with 2017 California Cabs? Most of us don’t care. Troll or not, if you think something is wrong with them, then don’t buy them. Simple solution and no one will call you anything.

Plenty of people do care Markus. We know you don’t so it’s a real head scratcher that you would even open this thread.

I may not be a Screagle buyer, but there are several Napa Cabernets that I do buy on a regular basis (e.g. Corison, EMH, Montelena).

Overall I have faith in the producers to honestly deal with the hand they were dealt by the fires. Any that do not will be rightfully criticized, and lose business. I hope those affected by smoke have insurance.

As for the other perceived shortcomings of 2017, I don’t care one bit. Vintages happen. Good producers roll with what nature provides, and make interesting wines. If people only bought great vintages many wineries would go out of business, as they need to sell their wines to move on to the next year.

Yup. And some of the 20% plus who picked after the fires will even tell you the truth.

I think it really is a bit simpler though. From 2012 through 2016 California cab producers have done very very very well. The 20% plus who didn’t pick prior to the fires should be able to handle one vintage gone at this point. The rest of the producers, depending on what they produce from the not so perfect year, can decide to lower prices, sell their juice to Boones farm or Gallo, avoid the vintage altogether or any number of alternatives. But, I cut my teeth on the 2011 vintage and while some wines were ok, most were not. I don’t feel like going through another 2011 vintage the way I did so I will be buying less of the 2017 for security reasons.

i agree with your sentiments. 2012-2016, and now 2018 were all above average vintages with a few being great. if we can be honest with the praise we can also be honest with the criticism.
2011 was shitty. 2017 was shitty. it’s all relative.
there’s still wineries trying to move their 2011’s and in 2024 I bet there will be wineries trying to move their 2017’s.

There are some lovely 2011s. The Corison Cabernet Sauvignon is amazing, to name one example. There are more.

I find 2011 tougher for Pinot Noir than for Cabernet - by a long shot.

absolutely. i was speaking in gross generalities. there are exceptions to every rule.

I didn’t see this posted here yet, but LPB’s report includes a quote that sums it up pretty nicely:

LISA PERROTTI-BROWN
29th Oct 2018 | The Wine Advocate | Mid-October 2018 New Releases
Here’s what Screaming Eagle’s winemaker, Nick Gislason, had to say:

“As for 2017, the Merlot that came in at the beginning of harvest before the fires struck was very nice, along with the first couple of small Cabernet blocks. However, the vast majority of our fruit was still on the vines maturing when the fires came and, thus, was lost to us. When the smoke finally cleared, we cut and discarded all of it. Any wine for a 2017 Screaming Eagle or Flight would be made exclusively from our tiny pre-fire harvest, is likely to be minuscule and may not be released at all if it does not meet our quality standards. As a harvest cut short, we have very few blending components to work with, and this may limit our ability to put together blends of sufficient quality.”