Why do Americans eat cheese before a meal ?

Takes 5 minutes to throw together with some charcuterie and can be a great appetizer while you’re catching up with friends before dinner.

Alan’s troll assumes that the cheese tray and an appetizer/entree are separate courses; I’d argue that in the US, cheese trays are used as a substitute for a formal entree, rather than a separate course. I’d also note that a cheese and charcuterie plate, with a baguette and a bottle of wine thrown in, is a stand-alone dinner for half of Europe.

“Because it’s delicious” is the most important point, and nails it.

Exactly! [cheers.gif]

I guess I don’t understand the antipathy to cheese before a meal. Cheese is common as an anitipasti option in Italy, feta is common as an opening dish in Greece, etc. I love a proper cheese plate at the end of the meal in France, but frankly there aren’t many places in the States that do cheese as well.

lol, I certainly hope the pun was intended. [cheers.gif]

Alan should write a book on how to be cultured. Sure to be a best-seller.

-Al

Ha! I see what you did there…

So long as someone else punctuates it. :wink:

Just looked that recipe up…holy hell that sounds tasty. I’m going to do it this weekend!

it is really great. the pine nut, toasted breadcrumb, parsley topping is the bomb

I’m sorry, Alan. I know you’re doing this for our own good, but… the fact is, we’re just crackers about cheese!

I was going to omit the pine nuts because of what I’ve read pine nuts can do to your palate. Think it’ll still work? I could substitute some unsalted roasted sunflower seeds.

if you purchase good quality pine nuts from Italy they’re less likely to give metallic problems. It’s the cheap stuff from China sold by Trader Joes and Costco. Pine Mouth is a result of eating raw pine nuts and these are toasted.
One study showed pine nuts from China both the white pine (Pinus armandii) and red pine (Pinus massoniana) cause problems

This.

Buy the real ones. Not worth it to save money on the ones from China

George\

Huh, I’ve never heard of this before, although I have experienced such a persistent metallic taste several times in my life. But to my knowledge, it never associated with pine nuts, which I rarely eat. My perception was more with it being a consequence of eating asian food. Are there any common asian dishes or sauces that include pine nuts?

A more recent Bon Appetit article claims it can no longer be associated with a particular species or origin of pine nuts:

Anyone have a source for non-Chinese pint nuts?

Buon Italia in Chelsea Market sells them. Not sure if they ship.

Thanks they are hard to find. I was in retail grocery for years and as soon as I would find a vendor they would disappear.

JD

Because we are cretins.

Is there a sit down American restaurant that gives you cheese before taking your order? All I’ve experienced is butter/oil and bread.

Hanging out, casual - if cheese is there I eat it. I love cheese. It’s the last food I would give up.

Formal dinner - cheese course always at the end, usually instead of a sweet.