Why don't I buy more Louis Michel Chablis?

PSA, Vins Rare has some good pricing on 2016 Louis Michel 1ers right now. Forets for $24, Montmains $24, MdT for $30. I’d rather have 2017 than 2016, but decent 1er crus for under $25 is attractive pricing.

1 Like

for under the wire always superb great value Chablis, look to the amazing La Chablisienne coop also.

1 Like

Agreed. WTSO used to offer these regularly at ridiculously good prices, 1ers under $20, but haven’t seen them for some time, so they may have changed their distribution. I bought a ton of the '14s and they were excellent value.

Vinsrare offered a bunch of 23-25 a pop for 2016.

Still some 2017 at Envoyer.

JJ Buckley has some 2017 as well, some 1er as low as $30

I bought a 2015 Louie Michel MdT at retail a month ago and tried it, thinking I’d probably love it and go back for more. But it wasn’t that good, on the heavy side, a bitter finish, not as much freshness and energy as you would want.

Maybe just 2015 being a warmer year or something?

Anyway, good thing I tried one before buying more.

Chris, sounds like vintage character more than producer. LM is noted for using mostly (all?) stainless, with little or no wood contact. So the wines are often quite taut and crisp. 2017 is reputed to be an outstanding white burgundy and Chablis vintage, try something from the vintage and see if it shows differently than the 15.

That sounds like good advice. I’ll keep an eye out.

‘More of this producer in my cellar than any other.
With time in bottle, epitome Chablis.
Best, Jim

1 Like

Agree with Alan here. The 2015 MdT is so-so.

But in general I find their MdT to be a great value. It’s rarely very complex but it delivers an excellent Chablis experience in most vintages.

Just grabbed some 1e La Foret 2015 to try. So far, I’ve had mostly Chablis made by William Fevre and Droin (yum).

When thinking about the best chablis producer, is there 1 that really stands above the rest?

Raveneau and Dauvissat have generally been viewed as the top two producers which is reflected in their pricing.

It’s been mentioned above, but 2015s won’t be the best representation of the site or the producer. It was such a hot vintage that the wines lack typical Chablis cut and precision and can be rather round and flabby. Some of the 2015s I’ve had were decent enough but none were excellent. I haven’t had any recently though, so perhaps some time will have allowed them to settle in some.

I also like Droin quite a bit, even though their style can be a bit forward for a Chablis producer. I need to pick some up to see if their 2017s are as good as their 12s and 14s.

That’s for damn sure!

Didn’t taste it yet but read several times that many 2015s sharpened recently. Tension back on the menu. I’ll have to find out myself.

I liked the 2017 Chablis from Droin. Lemon peel, silex, rather ample without being too round. Didn’t taste any of the 1C or GC yet.

Envoyer has the 2014 Vaudesir in 375s at $29.99.

I bit on that. I love Chablis, and I love half bottles.

Yes, I did too for the same reasons, even though it was the same price as the 2017 Butteaux in a full bottle.