Why don't I buy more Louis Michel Chablis?

geez, just get a Pungo!

Geez, it’s a pain to use at a restaurant

there aren’t any more restaurants.

David or anyone else;

Did you taste the Louis Michel 2014 Vaudesir? I was having my held for consolidated shipping in the fall, but they still have one and I’m tempted to get a few more.

Not yet. Waiting for fall shipment as well.

I remember being in europe during 2016 or so (when the 2014 vintage was everywhere) and every Chablis I tried was very fine or better. Some producers I hadn’t heard of, or entry level chablis from those I knew (and of course the pc and gc’s).

So I might buy more.

Damn, you guys bought it out! I would have been all over that.

I always get annoyed when a deal posted on WB sells out, but then I reflect that I would never have known it existed if it wasn’t posted here, so I really haven’t lost anything

I should have reloaded before I posted. They were there yesterday.

They have some 2018, but I’m thinking of skipping that vs. hunting down 2017s.

I got two bottles of the 2010 Vaudesir at WineBid last Sunday that I’m excited to try… So far I only had the Louis Michel MdT and mostly 2014 and they have been great!

1 Like

At the risk of not reacting quick enough, Envoyer just put out the 2017 Vaudesir, but the only two Cellartracker made me wonder (tastes “like a wime from a riper vintage”).

Anyone try it?

Have opened 2 bottles of the 15 Louis Michel MdT recently and the wine is definitely showing more chablis character and less vintage. And it really comes through more with time. I don’t normally like whites open this long but I thought that it was WAY better on day 4 than day 1

I’m guessing that bodes well for the aging curve?

Reading this thread put me in the mood for some Louis Michel. I’ve never encountered their Fourchaume anywhere but it was a welcome find on a restaurant list

2017 Louis Michel Fourchaume
Greets you with a charming flourish of flowers and exotic fruit, then elegant on the palate; over time those charms slowly reveal an unexpectedly dense core of seashell and extract lurking beneath; lovely wine that should evolve for a good while yet; tad overpriced on the list; good

I had a similar experience. I wouldn’t normally drink these so young but the '15’s showed somewhat poorly for me as mentioned up thread. So I drank my three over a couple years. I drank the last one in December 2020 and had found it had opened nicely. It didn’t drink so hollow and showed a nice mineraled Chablis character. Like the fruit had unfolded over the holes. It still came off as riper than normal but it was the most complete I had experienced the wine. That being said I still think I wouldn’t keep this as long as other more classic vintages but I wish I had waited longer on my first couple bottles.

I found another case of the 2015 and I decided that given the multi day experience it would ultimately be better than the other options at the same price which were 2016 and 2018. Sadly no 2014 or 2017 available to me locally.

I will follow these over the next few years to test the thesis

Oops–thought I’d cross-posted my thoughts on this wine in here—correcting now! From December, the 2017 Butteaux:

The promise of this vintage in Chablis shines through in this bottling. Coiled but present aromatics of mineral, very tart apple and a bit of floral too. This is just lovely, even at this early stage. Can I use the adjective “slinky”? I can? Good. Because this is slinky for Chablis—although it has enough bracing quality about the lime and apple fruit and a bit of minerality, there’s also an almost seductive quality–without being ripe or soft in any way. I have 3 more and need to pick up further bottles at C$60 per.

FWIW, my initial experience with the ‘18 vintage from this house has been pretty positive. The pundits may not agree but the ‘18’s I’ve had give me reason to cellar them.
Best, jim

Sitting on a few Clos from 2018 so this is comforting to hear! Thank you Jim [cheers.gif]

The Butteaux VV was fantastic. Maybe with more tropical notes than one might prefer but otherwise terrific.

Three years later, I’m still asking the same question. 2007 Les Clos the other night was outstanding. My stock of Louis Michel is dwindling. I ordered several 2019’s.

Cheers,
Warren
ED3F620D-EBF0-4E8B-B9D3-1F1B7DFD49AA.jpeg

1 Like

This stuff is impossible to beat for QPR at pretty much all levels, from village to GC. I buy 2 cases per year now across the cuvées and it’s still not enough. To be honest, may be my favorite overall white wine producer.