Why don't I buy more Louis Michel Chablis?

Shameful that I never posted my TN on the 17 Grenouilles on this thread. That was my WOTY last year

2017 Louis Michel Chablis Les Grenouilles

Picked one up to try–I’ve had next to no Grenouilles in my career. Tried it. Jumped on the site and bought 5 more. I saw William’s note on this and respect his palate very much, but the bottle I tried wasn’t the bottle he tried [grin.gif]. My bottle was stunning. On first opening, the purity of the lime at the front and the mineral at the back is beguiling. A couple days later, it has rounded off some but hasn’t lost a jot of its persistence at the back of the mouth, though it added some pear notes and green apple. This wine is almost searing to me in its individuality and character. John Gilman gave a 94 and I have no reason to argue with that score except to add a plus sign. Really strong contender for WOTY for me.

3 Likes

PXL_20220323_005525888.jpg
Over a couple of nights, the 2015 Louis Michel ‘Forets’ [Chablis] shows the character of a warm vintage. 13% abv, medium bodied, but more fleshy and medium acid, than crisp and taut as the AOC typecasts might be. Meadows had noted some reduction in this bottling, and personally I found it much better on day 2, after it had gotten some air, than upon initially pulling a cork. As the weather heats up - it’s already 80F+ here - this ilk of wine assume more of the post work / pre dinner drinking regimen. It’s a nice wine, but generally, for the same monies I’d be happier with a Sonoma Coast chardonnay. To wit: I thought a recent 2014 Phelps ‘Freestone’ Chardonnay - which critics compared to a premier cru Chablis - to be more Chablis like than this.

In my ledger, a B grade. I tend to have a New World commercial palate in this varietal.

This is preaching to the choir. This is great Chablis. Period.

I have a ton of Louis Michel and La chablisenne, not upset about it.

2 Likes

You have given up counting bottles and just work on total weight by producer?, thats pretty smart

2 Likes

2015 Louis Michel ‘Butteaux’ Vieille Vignes [Chablis] This 13% abv premier cru Chablis is light bodied, yet low acid and round, attributes which I don’t tend to experience together in the same bottle. I think that must have been a function of the solar vintage. Color is pale straw, and taste/texture it reminded me of a low/no oak Sonoma coast chardonnay. I liked it (B+ on my scorecard) and the Mrs. loved it, so the bottle lasted only to the end of dinner, which was a time consuming chicken satay with an (unpictured) peanut sauce and rice. [Nomenclature corrected now]

2 Likes

That bottle is actually the Butteaux Vieilles Vignes as opposed to the “regular” Butteaux.

1 Like

For me, the Butteaux VV is clearly the best of his 1ers. When I taste them side by side I always prefer this wine to the MdT.

I also agree on all the praise given in this thread.

1 Like

Not quite—vieille

Not quite - Vieilles :wine_glass:

1 Like

Butteaux VV and Sauzet Champ-Canet were my two aha wines for France. Always have a fond place in my heart for both of them from 2008.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

What if it’s a single plant bottling? :slight_smile:
Single vineyards are so last season.

1 Like

That’s Fourrier

1 Like