Why water spots on Grassl but not Zalto?

Sound like differences in surface energy between the two glasses. I only use Zaltos, but I have also noticed that when I unpack a new glass, it tends to have water spots after cleaning in the dishwasher and the same (but older) Zalto glass next to it does not. I’ve also noticed it disappears after a number of wash cycles.

My first college job. Useful experience.

-Al

HS here at a retirement community. Lots of HS girls as waitresses. Running the dishwasher was way better than pots and pans.

Not sure what others do, but I wash them in the sink, then rinse it with my RO water and left to self dry. Spotless every time.
FYI - my RO water is < 5 ppm from the TDS meter

Hmmm… I have a filtered tap for drinking water right next to the faucet. May have to try that.

When it’s just my wife and I, I put some free and clear seventh generation soap and fill with water then rinse under running water for 20 seconds or so. Our wine stem rack is right above the wet bar sink, so I just hang upside down and they’re clean and spotless the next day.

When we have company and/or if my wife is wearing any sort of lip anything, I run them through the dishwasher and never any issues.

I asked Chris about something similar one time. I always handwash my glasses, but noticed that when the Grassls are new they shed water quickly and dry really fast. But after they’re a year old or so, they seem to dry slower (using the same soap and water temp) and get more water spots. I always rinse really well and never have any off odors or anything in the glasses, but they just dry slower and spot easier when they are older.

We get spotting on Grassl’s -and others.

Always thought it was the water, but not my area of expertise.

I’ve sent the images Geoff sent me to Grassl. I think the above comment about crystalline structure is likely the one to have the best answer.

The foundry we use is different than Zalto. Which would then imply different raw materials and or ratios.

I’d be curious to those with spots if using a different detergent in the sink removed the ‘film’ for lack of a better word.

I doubt you will find this strange. But I have probably 200 stems in my own house/kitchen. And all brands as we do taste through wines across our glass and the competitor.

I have multiple generations (foundry cycles) of Grassl, Zalto, Sophienwald, etc.

None of my glasses dry differently. We have pretty soft water. But I’ve never done any PH tests on it. And I use the Cascade Platinum pucks in my dishwasher.

I’ll be back as I learn more.

My co-workers were mostly locals from Chicago Southside. Henry was the pots and pans expert, friendly guy who gave me tips how to avoid trouble walking home on payday. Not so relevant to me, but interesting. Melvin was the guy who trained me, a younger and hard-partying guy who was sometimes dragging on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but I could never keep up with him. The other thing I learned is that some of my fellow students were massively entitled a$$holes who treated me and my co-workers like servants. Be polite and treat people with respect.

-Al

Appreciate you jumping on this!

I have a few Grassl that come out of the dishwasher with water beading on it, but others do not. Both dry without spots somehow, but it always confounds me why that happens. I think 2 of my 6 1855s are like this and one of my grand cru

My grassl dry with water spots. To the point I don’t even bother grabbing them. Pulled them from the cabinet last week to give it a shot, covered in water spots. Drank from em, washed it and dried in the dishwasher. Water spots again. I got a litany of stems from every producer and it’s the only one I have the issue with.

I want to just shove the grassl XL towel in to get every nook and cranny with hand washing, but the mouth is so narrow the last time I did it, the glass exploded in my hand.

If your dishwasher allows using a rinse aid, I would use that. There was a topic on this a month ago. Complete drying and minimizing water spots is exactly what Jet Dry / Finish is supposed to be for.

+1 to rinseaid.

That said, it may also be how the glasses retain heat (based on thickness, etc.). Our Bosch dishwasher doesn’t have a dry cycle - it relies on a final hot water rinse for water to evaporate off dishes and glasses. Eve if there is a dry cycle it may dry at different speeds, resulting in spots on some glasses and not others.

This is why I drink alone and in the dark. Can’t see the spots.

2 Likes

Gave this a try today. Hand washed the glass, then rinsed it under my filtered tap. Then I let it air dry. No issues.

Yep. It’s a Miele. Has both a built in water softener and uses rinse aid. Plus the cascade platinum pods. It’s also got a feature thet it cracks open the door at the end to let the steam out and fully dry the dishes.

I’d buy it if there was spots on ALL the glasses. But the fact it’s only on SOME of the glasses, even in the same wash leads me to think there’s something different about the glasses. As noted earlier most likely something about the composition of the glasses. Now if only I’d paid more attention in my material sciences class all those years ago… lol.

Lol. This sounds like a philosophical dilemma. If there’s is not enough light to see the water spots… are they really there…?

This man gets it. I also use lampposts for support. :slight_smile: