Windfall wine purchase

Lots of rich people on this site, I sense.

Well, there are more tasting note threads for DRC than for Yellowtail cuveesā€¦

No doubt itā€™s an acquired taste. Thereā€™s a rather pronounced vein of virtue signaling, group think and general holier than thou sentiment. But thereā€™s a lot of wine knowledge if you wade through the cruft!

Yes, this site can get nasty.

the OP got a holier than though response about spending $600 on wine. Everyone on this board should not buy any wine and give all that savings away by that logic. Like unexpected money is somehow more inappropriate to spend on wine than expected money.

Distinction without a difference.

Then the place to shop is Supply Side wine, their wines trickle down!

[cheers.gif]

I think the answer depends a lot on what type of wine the OP likes and what his style preferences are. For example, someone suggested 2009 Mugneret Gibourg, whereas I donā€™t love that vintage for them (I think 09 was a difficult vintage for some producers), so wouldnā€™t recommend it. Whereas the 2008 Mugneret Gibourg wines are great. So all depends on stylistic preferences.

What I would say is, make liberal use of the ignore feature. I am very happy to be a Grand Cru member, but I also find myself posting a lot less than I otherwise would because of certain people - but thatā€™s OK. Ignoring them works just fine*.

*I know there are some people that feel that way about me. And thatā€™s OK too!

1 Like

$600 should get you a bottle of 1982 Pichon-Lalande. On my personal list of Five Best Wines Iā€™ve Ever Had, it appears four times:

(1) '82 Pichon-Lalande (2nd time)
(2) '82 Pichon-Lalande (1st time)
(3) '82 Pichon-Lalande (4th time)
(4) '82 Pichon-Lalande (3rd time)
(5) '82 Giacomo Conterno Monfortino (not gonna get that for $600)

[winner.gif]

You didnā€™t deserve to take sh*t for that. You might find this interesting.

After listening, I think it will be easier for me to take a hiatus from wine buying next year. Lol.

Kind regardsā€¦

1 Like

not everyone here is suing for half a billion (or more) $

You should have started suing when you were younger and you could be done by now!

Kelly,

Youā€™ve had many of the great Nebb and Burgundy. Have you ever had 1990 Pergole Torte?

I feel like Greg k and my palate are diametrically opposed and perhaps the only intersection on the Venn diagram is Fourrier

If I was given $600 to specifically spend on one wine, no other choice, Iā€™d buy a Madeira. I could enjoy that over weeks, whereas most other bottles would be gone in one sitting.

My answer would have been different many years ago, it seems, when I went to regular wine tastings with a ā€œcompetitiveā€ edge. One wanted to bring the newest, the rarest, or the killer 100 point wine now and then, just to be welcome in the game. I donā€™t see anything wrong with that as long as no one is stretching beyond their means, and everyone makes an effort to stay on par. The advantage to drinking special bottles in a setting like this is that you get to try multiples of special wines beyond what you would ever open at home for yourself, or yourself and SO.
It also beats opening great wines for dinner companions who arenā€™t even paying attention. You also, presumably, get honest insights into otherā€™s tastes and background experience.
Sorry for the thread drift-

2 Likes

Good drift!

Depends on the vintage of Fourrier [rofl.gif]

On a serious note, I suspect youā€™re mostly right. Which is great! Someone has to buy all those 18s I donā€™t want :slight_smile:

Reganomics at its finest