Wine inflation; share some of your price:value winners in the cellar

2005 Opus One $75 - now abut $450

That was a great price back then. Wasn’t it at about $200 a bottle at most places?

A couple of Champagnes purchased around $225 on release are probably up there:
1988 Krug Clos du Mesnil
1996 Salon

Lots of 1982 Bordeaux but that’s been drunk or auctioned off. Still have some 1989 Haut Brion in the cellar that was under $100 when bought. That’s probably appreciated an order of magnitude.

I’ve been gifted a few precious bottles over the years. I guess the ROI on those is ∞.

yeah. Feel your pain. Sold 2 cases of Rousseau 1990, one Beze and one Chambertin. Paid $100/b, sold at $300. Knew I had sold at peak. Couldn’t go up from there. Not possible. Now $7000 per bottle.

1 Like

This is one reason why I have not sold any of the Truchot.

Have a few Quintarelli’s and Dal Forno’s that have probably increased a bit.

I only really started buying wine in 2009 or so, and early on I bought only in very small quantities, but I still found some values that I still have in the cellar:

'83/85/89/90/91 Verset for $125/btl – now $1,000+ (from Premier Cru in 2013)
'99 Cathiard Malconsorts for $89 – now $1,000+ (from Premier Cru in 2009)
'06/08 Bartolo Mascarello for $89 – now $400+
2008 Dujac, Mugneret-Gibourg, and Ponsot Grand Crus that were stupid cheap at the time
Some cheap Comte Liger-Belair for first tranche pricing

More recently my values come from getting preferential/first tranche pricing from retailers with whom I have relationships.

Not wine but got a bottle of Pappy 23 at my supermarket 4 years ago for about $330. Close to $5,000 now

1 Like

No kidding…bought 13-16 ORVW 13 Rye for $40-50…likely get around $2000-2500. Maybe more.

Hibiki 17 50ml bottles for 700 Yen, now someone is asking $150.

[swoon.gif]

Bought a case of 2000 Leoville Barton, spring of 2001 for $550. Traded eight bottles to a couple of guys a month or so later for four bottles each 2000 Ducru and Las Cases. Traded one bottle of each of those Bordeaux in spring 2004 for three bottles of 1999 Roumier Amoureuses.

Trades are a whole diff story especially involving bourbon. I traded a bottle of S/W PVW 23 with bag for a lightly used authenticated AP Royal Oak Offshore carbon.

I mean, they might get the last laugh in the long run as they aren’t making any more stitzel Weller juice but I don’t care as I paid less than 1k for the bottle.

1 Like

This is the old f’ers win thread, which is a companion piece to so many others. Anyone who bought red Burg before the real run up started is going to have a good list of these. Like Alan’s 1990 La Tache.

My highest Burg multiple now is probably 1993 Rousseau Chambertin. My auction hammer was $200 each for 2 in 2001 or so.

In the N Rhone camp 1999 Verset was $27.99 each on release, less 10% mixed case discount IIRC.

1979 Chateau Lafleur paid $29 and at the time I couldn’t believe I spent that much after leaving the store. Almost turned around to return it. I see it for $3,770 now

Sarah and Alan,
My dad had a great comment once when I lamented such missed opportunities. He said “It’s never a bad time to take a profit”, and I felt better. He was a wise man.
Cheers,
Warren

1 Like

1965 RICHARDS WILD IRISH ROSE $4.99; NOW [wow.gif] WE ARE TALKING !!! neener

Truchot, Verset. Juge, Overnoy, Tremblay, G. Rinaldi, Gonon, Burlotto, …

-mark

2 Likes

I’m new to this racket and can’t compete with the longitudinal studies you guys can do, but I did wake up early the morning of 2015 Canon’s en premieur offering and picked up a case of .375s, a case of .750s and a few magnums for $82/750. By that afternoon it was $121 a bottle, and it’s since settled in around $250-300ish. That was an unusual confluence of unexpectedly high scores and a chateau that hadn’t quite grasped how far they could push their opening price.

1 Like

I paid $100 or less for every bottle of Truchot that I have. https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/truchot/-/usa

1 Like

Rather a depressing thread, suitable for those crowers who bought Tesla at $60.

2 Likes

Three bottles of ‘99 La Tache bought on release for $350. God only know what they are worth now. I keep thinking I’m going to have one hell of an 80th birthday party in 20 years and save for then. More likely my kids will sell and buy themselves a Lamborghini.