Wine inflation; share some of your price:value winners in the cellar

My 2012 and 2013 Schrader Old Sparky (magnum) is valued (according to Cellartracker) at $1300. Cost was $400.

2014 Maybach has doubled from $185.
MacDonald is up roughly 3x’s (2015 - 2017 vintage) from what I paid.

Some is going as high as $650 at least for 750’s.

Yes, though today’s young Fs will turn into tomorrow’s old Fs one day, and one never knows what will become in demand (or who will retire or pass on with no heirs), so it’s still possible to get in on something for future youngsters to envy [wink.gif].

^exactly this. I’m 41 and yes, I totally got lucky on some bottles that I bought when I was 27-33. But, I also bought them because I love the producers/style/region. Which is exactly what anyone in this thread did when they bought Juge or Truchot back in the day. There’s no way to predict what winemaker dies in an accident or has to wind up the estate because kids/nieces/nephews don’t want to take over. Basically, buy what you like and maybe some will get stupidly expensive and you all of a sudden have a gem on your hands.

I honestly hope this doesn’t happen for any of the wines in my relatively young cellar. It makes it so much harder to be comfortable drinking them.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about what is in demand. Buy what you love and can afford. Then, you will be a winner no matter what the market thinks. I do not feel lucky that my Truchots have gone up in price. If the wines had not appreciated so much, I would still be buying older vintages on the open market. Since I want to drink the wines, the value of them does not help me.

1 Like

Not to mention being priced out of buying new vintages…

1996 Salon for $195
2014 La Tache for $1050
2015 DRC RC for $3400

Perhaps the only time I ever saw wine losing value was when I valued a cellar for divorce around 2000. 80% of the collection was 1983 Gewurtztraminer.

Otherwise if you have been buying a cross section of Bordeaux and Burgundy over the last twenty years, some of those wines will have appreciated tenfold.

ample grounds for divorce therein.

As I’ve mentioned before, I took a second mortgage to buy 1982 Bordeaux. I paid $30 or less for first growths and $20 or less for everything else, including two cases of Lafleur.

1 Like

1863 Bual Madeira Barbeito $200 [wow.gif]
All my 2002 Bordeaux first growths ; under $100 on futures flirtysmile

2 Likes

Or just a change of preference

When I bought 1982 Bordeauxs I didn’t even have a first mortgage yet.

I struggle with this, quite a bit of my stuff has increased which is good I guess but I never dreamed I’d NEVER be able to replace some of the wines I bought years ago. Plus there’s a weird almost guilt about opening $30 bottle on a Wednesday night with a BBq sandwich which is actually a $150 bottle (on paper).

On the inverse, that now $150 wine would hopefully be something you love and you will get joy from it and be glad that you had foresight to get it before others did.

I also treat some of them as tickets to future baller tastings. Nobody will give a rat’s ass that I paid $50 for my Burlotto Monvigliero in ten years. They’ll also be extremely happy to have drunk a rare wine that they otherwise would have a more difficult time obtaining😀

This idea helped me curb my spending and made me feel ok about missing out on some wines over the years. I could have easily gone way more overboard than I did, lol.

This. Some of the (non-Rousseau) bottles I keep so I can play ball as needed; I’d sell them if I really needed to.

1990 Latour for $875 a case.

1 Like

2018 Rivers Marie Platt Pinot - $70:$200 - no idea why they gave me one of these, was my first time to buy RM
2016 Sassicaia - $200:$400

Not bad returns for a short period of time. Not selling the RM, will unload some of the Sassicaia.

I suspect people that bought 1st growth 2019 bordeaux EP will do pretty well…