Wine Spectator Top 10 2018

I have a total “crush” on this winery’s style.

We served a 2014 Hyde the other night and it stopped the conversation.

I am glad to see them get recognition, but I don’t want too many people wanting it! [cheers.gif]

Aubert still has a waitlist and 6 bottle minimum purchase. 2 years and $700 incl shipping is a steep enough threshold for new buyers. I don’t think you’ll see your allocation drop. They have a new bottling this year which I’m very excited about. And did a full 4 page spread on Mr. Aubert this summer come to think of it… anyway, Aubert is no secret to anyone remotely interested in domestic Chardonnay - so I think this counts as recognition for the outstanding work he and Mr. Valdez (rip) have done rather than anything that will release a big new wave of interest. Already well known and deservedly on top, IMO

I like the Sassicaia pick and a 15 Bordeaux… maybe Smith Haut Lafite or something from Margaux.

I had a 15 Clos Des Papes the other day and it was STUNNING but agreed, they won’t pick another S. Rhône, and they like lower price points when they can…

It’s a widely-held misconception that the WS Top 100, other than the actual #1 wine, causes the wines to get snapped up right away and/or go up significantly in price.

Go back and look at #2-10 from recent years (of course, excluding the wines that were already highly allocated or sold out before being designated). Last year, #3 Coutet Barsac 2014, #4 Casanova di Neri Brunello 2013, #5 St. Cosme Gigondas 2014, #7 Canon la Gaffiliere 2014 – all widely available today, no particular spike in price beyond what they cost before the WS list came out.

The list is like most other “best of” lists, it’s just entertainment and for interest.

The Lauren and Ritchie Vineyard wines you served at our meet-up were also stunning… :smiley:

my friend that distributes Bedrock in the area actually told me last night that they’ve seen the Heritage wine disappear from store shelves this week. granted, that could just be because its a great thanksgiving wine too, but I struggle to believe it didn’t have something to do with the WS top 10. I will also concede to your point though, that I doubt that disappearance will be very long lived.

Not sure how the system works? Do they auction the positions? How much does it cost to get in the top 10?

Well here we go again…

Not sure if they meant to show numbers 2 - 4 in announcing 4 (2005 La Rioja Alta 890 Gran Reserva), but that’s what is viewable on their website. 3 is 2015 Castello di Volpaia and 2 is 2015 Canon-La Gaffelière.

Dom was #5, don’t think that’ll make any difference in pricing or availability.

Looks like a German wine for #1, none in top 10 so far

While I would applaud that it seems unlikely. German wines do not generally make the top 10, and in fact very few make the top 100.

With the busy pre-Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving event weekends for the Willamette Valley coming up soon, I know that Colene Clemens is gearing up to be VERY busy thanks to this ranking. I’ll report back after the weekends to let you all know if there was noticeable impact to tasting traffic.

The 2015 Colene Clemens Dopp Creek actually sold out shortly after the score was announced on Spectator’s Insider a month ago.

Napa or Bdx for #1!!!

I think it’s more likely to be a red wine, but if it’s a German red, I’ll eat my sock. I’ll throw out a guess for a 2016 vintage port, either Graham’s or Taylor’s.

Wasnt a port #1 a couple of years ago ?

Sigh, how I wish it was 2015 Canon…would have prompted a fun debate on this forum.

I have been enjoying 2009 Castello di Volpaia lately.

Did they already list canon?

WOTY will be announced at 7AM EST on CNBC Squawk Box. Interesting venue to announce it but good for them.

[winner.gif]