Wine Spectator Top 10 2018

Before the market open?

My man Beeks has already told me what it is.

Tig it will be

It’d be funny if it was canon

that’s a good call

WS still moves the needle plenty, I sell Bedrock in Wa state and have had a ton of inquiries about a wine that was sold out 5 months ago…

Frozen, concentrated orange juice

+100

Anything that hits is huge for handful of restaurants and big chunk of retail.

Like Jason…Thanks Volpaia, you sold out months ago.

Interesting how some ws #1 picks prices jump for that vintage only others garner long term fans enormously. A good example was the 2002 Phelps Insignia a classic wine in a great vintage. Immediately as the world became aware of a great wine the demand and price took off. Probably still a decent price considering inflation and it’s quality, but back then it back then it was an over achiever.

What was #1?

Just unveiled on CNBC…Sassicaia 2015!

Ho hum.

So true…I remember paying $85/bottle for the '02 Insignia and $33 for their Napa Cab that year. They were well worth it at those prices.

… and then, after getting WOTY, they jacked the price of the 2003 to $135.

It’s a damn good wine… one of my top 5 tasted this year for certain. well deserved

I must have missed a conversation on canon somewhere. Someone mentioned a winery ‘crush’ earlier in this thread, Canon is mine. That was the wine that got me into wine

Ends up being one of the best Top 100 lists I have seen in years, good diversity and all are fairly accessible.

Sassicaia 2015, another perspective:

“The 2015 Sassicaia is powerful and dense in the glass, with a level of concentration that is unusual. In most vintages, Sassicaia is a wine of restraint. Although the 2015 is by no means overdone, it exudes richness and textural resonance in all of its dimensions. A rush of black cherry, mocha, grilled herbs, menthol, licorice and underbrush builds as this powerful, creamy wine shows off its muscle.”

– Antonio Galloni 95

I remember last year the Duckhorn Three Palms merlot was #1.
A couple weeks later our DE Costco got a half dozen or so of them in for the astounding price of 69.99…when everyone else by this time was charging like 200$ or thereabouts.
I grabbed a bottle (still have) and went back to grab another thinking I was getting a great deal.
I came to my senses and decided one was fine.
I could have gotten a couple more if I wanted.

Meh

Apparently, only the 4th Italian wine to receive the #1 rank.

And another from Monica Larner at WA --97 points:

The long-awaited 2015 Bolgheri Sassicaia represents a tremendous effort that comes together with seamless precision and focus. This is a confident and proud red wine from Tuscany. Starting with the primary material at hand, you sense the quality of fruit thanks to the wine’s beautifully dark appearance and the rich texture it offers to the palate. The acidity is integrated, but more freshness still would have been welcomed in my view (and would also contribute to its longevity). The bouquet is amplified both in terms of volume and length. Its playlist includes dark berry fruit, spice, leather, licorice and roasted coffee bean. Yet, the mouthfeel is extremely graceful and silky. The wine’s undisputed pedigree is showcased on the palate. It should also be noted that this edition of Sassicaia feels more ready and open to me. It will age and evolve beautifully, but the 2015 Sassicaia can also be enjoyed in the medium-term. This wine is all about the here and now.

I’m not a fan of this style of note and cringed a half dozen times when reading it.
Sass must be pleased this evolved from “91-93” in barrel to 97 WA, 95 V, WS # 1.