Wines you have trouble buying because of the name

No Girls.
You should try the Tempranillo. It’s amazing and the story to the name is more historic than just tacky.

The thing is that the German ‘rot’ sounds nothing like the English ‘rot’. It has nothing to do with my lightheartedness or lack thereof.

(Then again, ‘Merlot’ sounds nothing like ‘More Low’, to give another example’.)

Yes on No Girls. At first I was taken aback by it until I learned the history behind the name and the wine, and why the wine team chose it.

I guess for me the problem with names like Naked Wine or Clothing Optional as I am likely to assume, as noted above with the former, that it is probably not a good wine. That of course may not be true. I remember opening a Bionic Frog or Flying Pig for European friends, and they were skeptical given the cartoonish label and names – but then really liked the wine!

To me these just come across as names of craft beers (and with great beers like Raging Bitch, there really is no reason to be suspicious).

It’s not wine but Denver Beer co. has a kolsch called Princess Yum Yum…I still can’t bring myself to order it

I immediately thought “what’s wrong with red wine? And good Riesling?

I’ve ordered it a couple of times just because of the name haha

1 Like

Naked Wines and Naked Winery are two different entities. Naked Wines I don’t know much about, but the Naked Winery, based in Columbia Gorge, WA/OR is one I’ve owned and some of their wine names, Penetration, Oh! Orgasmic, etc…, though decent wines, I’d avoid. I’m not a prude, but also see no need for the crude names.

A pretty darn good wine!

Any wine that sounds like a subdivision.

Bret brothers wines. Just a mental hurdle to get across.

1 Like

Conform or be cast out

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to try a spätburgunder from Assmanhauser.

There is a vineyard in Franconia that Horst Sauer cultivates called the Escherndorfer Lump. Might be something for the physicians here, but not for me.

You’d probably also love the Rolly Gassmann wines as well!

I can’t see the word spätburgunder without imagining an SS Officer screaming the word at his underlings in an Indiana Jones movie. It definitely sounds a lot sexier in French.

From the HOLLENBERG!!! perhaps?

1 Like

Everything sounds a lot sexier in French.

1 Like

English: butterfly
French: papillon
Italian: farfalla
Spanish: mariposa
Portuguese: borboleta
German: SCHMETTERLING!

2 Likes

Naylor Dry Hole Vineyard

1 Like