Wines you have trouble buying because of the name

Butter

Along the same lines, I’ve always been amused by HERMANNSHÖHLE. What is so special about Hermann’s Hole?

It may appear that I’m picking on zee Germans, but I also can’t bring myself to buy Weingut Kunstler, even though the wines are supposed to be spectacular. I can only imagine the lawyer for the Chicago 7, and the associated aromas of patchouli and body odor.

Pascal Simonutti On S’en Bat les Couilles
Pithon-Paillé Grololo

Terrible names
 and I mean terrible names

Bourgogne Montrecul. But that’s no winemaker’s fault.

Bull’s Blood
Pape Clement

Heard him speak way back when I was in college. Very interesting.

it took me a while to convince myself to try Rancia. glad I finally did.

Screenshot_20210202_030249.jpg
This is actually made by one of my favorite oenologists. The upper level CuvĂ©e is called ‘Explosion d’Amour’. Yep.

A King Cab sighting! Hey Mike!

And if any of you don’t want your Clothing Optional wines you can just send them my way. [bow.gif] [thankyou.gif]

1 Like

What, no Plungerhead yet? That name just says quality.

Same for Apothic which reminds me of apocalyptic which is likely to happen with consumption.

I can’t help making this association:

2 Likes

Ze Pinot von Assmanshausen ist wery good. Hella good.

Caymus

There is also Cupcake, which I know no Berserker would buy.
MĂ©nage Ă  troi is just a wasted name.

I would drink it, but I wouldn’t serve Gorgeous Victim at a dinner if my wife was present.

1 Like

The tasting notes in an active discussion of this wine reinforces the, uh, nonconsensual undertones:

“It was hard to keep my hands off of it and kept teasing me to come back for more. I tried to show some restraint and save some for tomorrow but I was too weak.”

It feels like it’s only a matter of time before it takes an even darker turn with a collector suggesting to keep their Gorgeous Victims locked in a cold dark cellar for years . . . .

I started a thread about this back in 2012, it’s a fun reread.

My list at the time:

1. Anything that makes a pun about zinfandel. I don’t know where it was written that cheap zinfandel needs to have a pun on the word “zin” in it, but I’m not Choo-Zin to buy anything with that in the name. Cardinal Zin, 7 Deadly Zins, Earth Zin and Fire . . .

2. Wineries whose name is just the place. Santa Barbara Winery, Napa Cellars, Chateau de Puligny Montrachet, Willamette Valley Vineyards, Chateau de Sancerre. It sounds so generic to me, like if I saw a cheese whose brand name was “French Cheese,” plus it’s super difficult to look them up in anything online. Call me a hypocrite, I don’t seem to have the same annoyance about Chateau Margaux, but who said any of this was rational?

3. Windy Oaks. Good winery, but the name sounds like some tired two story apartment complex from the 1970s with faded and cracking beige stucco on the outside.

4. 2005 The Winemakers’ Collection Michel Rolland CuvĂ©e No. 1 ChĂąteau d’Arsac. I don’t know if it’s more the label than the name, but both are so insufferably self-aggrandizing that I can’t stand it.

I might have trouble shopping at this store.

Dumbest thing I’ve read here in a while

1 Like

Names have the opposite effect on me - who wouldn’t like to serve a glass of Pisse-Vieille to ones’ in-laws?

This one sounds fun too:

Is this store run by the ass man?