Wines you waited too long to drink

1973 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Georges de Latour Private Reserve

Tasted somewhat like tomato soup. Have one left.

Bwahahahaha! Winner! Totally brought a chuckle to my morning.

Same here–painful to contemplate.

Not a ton other than some white burgundy that was premoxed. We’ve got some dry Rieslings from the early '80s that were better some years ago, but still taste pretty good. That’s more where we find ourselves from time to time: would have been better sooner, but just fine now.

I do have a 1972 Leroy Montrachet that I’ve likely waited too long to open. Now I’m scared to find out.

A whole bunch of premoxed 2002 Huet. A little bit of premoxed white burgundy. Some premoxed Trimbachs.

That’s about it really.

All my premoxed white burgundies,then again, not sure they were ever good.

What you don’t know that don’t you don’t know is the danger here. I am sure that we all have some bottles in our cellar that fits the OP’s description.

I’ve drunk some of that recently and it should be fine. Different from when you first bought it, but good.

I received a bunch of wine from my uncle when he died . . . let’s just say it’s a bit of a crapshoot opening up what were once some high quality wines.

Good to know… drank a bunch early, decided to let the last few mellow, forgot about them. Opening one on V-Day.

I have two bottles of this in my cellar, both were gifts.

Dunn Howell Mountain 1991. Opened last year and dead as a doornail. The window on these wines is just too narrow as one of these opened in 2013 was still way too tannic.

2009 Seaver GTS Cabernet.
My wife and 2 friends drank my glass as I was outside shoveling snow one day.

First thing I thought of when I read the subject line. Bergstrom pinots just turn to crap even after five or six years in your cellar. Drink early or don’t bother buying.

Obviously any number of white Burgundies and other French whites due to premox.

I’ve had a few big fruit California wines like Linne Calodo and Martinelli go way downhill even at 6-10 years from the vintage. Not horrible, just substantially less good than they were when young.

But those are rare exceptions. 20x as often, my mistakes are not having waited longer.

That surprises me. Dunns are often regarded as some of the longest lived cabs made in CA. We drink them with some regularity from the '80s and have never experienced a dead one unless there was cork or storage problem.

Have had numerous Dunns from the 80s that were quite fine.

For me its all about pox.

2010 Château de Chassagne-Montrachet Chassagne-Montrachet

Drank in early 2014 which must have been much too late! (Like it was 100 yrs old.)

I had a few Oregon pintos that I sat on for five or six years that didn’t hold up. I threw them into a blind tasting and it did not go well.

Next time try the Pinots!

Last night I waited until about 9 pm. I won’t make that mistake again.