Wines you waited too long to drink

90 Morot Beaune Marconnets magnum last night. Faded.

This. Josh has found his zone and is making some killer wines. Don’t sleep on the Sigrid Chardonnay either.

Haha, thanks! [insert pinto joke here]

Yeah, I’ve had a few with some age on them and every one has been a big disappointment. It isn’t only about oxidation; the wines just turn into something really unpleasant.

I have zero interest after my previous experiences. There’s too much other Oregon Pinot Noir that I really like and I know ages well.

Yes, I’d say you had a bad bottle. '91 should be coming along just fine, with plenty of life left.

I think I blocked them out of my mind. The repressed memories of failed wines allows room for hope.

2010 Rhys Horseshoe chardonnay. If my bottle last night was representative, the rumors of its demise are unfortunately true.

2009 up next.

How are things Nathan?

I wish I’d had my last 1990 Ponsot Clos St Denis at closer to 20 years old than to 25, still a nice bottle but starting to fade a bit. Hoping the additional stuffing in the CDLR is helping my last bottle of that hold on a while longer.

Almost all of my 90’s Jordan and Cakebread cabs. Those did not age like I thought they were going to.

1997 - Dom. des Baumards - Savenièrres - Tris Speciale: oxidized as of last year
2002 - Clos du Papillon - Dom. du Closel - Savenièrres: oxidized as of last year
1998 - D’Angelo - Aglianico del Vulture - Vigna Castelli - Riserva: fading/thinning as of last year
1998 - Clos des Papes - Châteauneuf-du-Pape: bottle purchased on release had gone feral by a year ago

I’ve had this twice in the past few weeks, from 2 different cellars, and I’d say its demise is a fact, not a rumor.

It’s a huge bummer. I also have some Alpine on deck to check that as well.

Demise how? Oxidized?

John, do you think the Clos des Papes was perhaps a bad bottle? What made it taste “feral?”

Yes, I doubt this was typical, but I don’t think it was a storage issue. The wine seemed to have some bacterial defect. Perhaps the bottle wasn’t sterile when it was filled? Oxygen would presumably exacerbate any bacterial issues, so perhaps there also a less-than-perfect cork as well. But I’m just speculating.

In the last two years, I’ve also had a 2001 Vieux Telegraph (with some storage questions) that was shot and an '01 Moulin-Tucasell CdP (straight from the domaine) that was oxidized. Grenache is prone to oxidation, but with the Clos des Papes, it seemed like a cleanliness issue.

Rhys chardonnay…Anthill pinot…

I thought time would soften up the raspy tannins so many 1994 Bdx showed.

Instead, the fruit faded and I was left with wines that basically only could be consumed with steaks.

At least by 2007 I gave up, and served the last of them at a big party (with filet).

Lesson learned.

Yes, it came up in a thread a few weeks ago

Had an 05 not too long ago. Yep, it’s a ‘big shouldered’ wine as that’s the style it was made in, but it’s held up quite nicely.

Still have some 06’s as well, but the last one I had does not give me too much hope for these. It seems that they tried to stick to the same style even though the fruit intensity of 06 was not nearly what it was in 05. Perhaps I’ll be proven wrong . . .

Cheers.

Hrm, maybe I should drink the 2006 before the 2005…