WK's new 2020 and 2019 Burgundy Report

We use mail chimp (for now) which isn’t always the best at evading spam filters. If you didn’t get our weekly mailing, that’s likely why.

One of the more amusing typos, for French speakers, in our database made by one of my predecessors was to put that cuvée downs as “Rue des Fions”, trans. “ass street”.

I’m going to do a vertical with Didier this Spring to go into more depth.

I’ve got the '15 CdN and the '12 rue de foins in the queue for this weekend. I’m going to subscribe to get your report - sounds right up my alley. Was the Bouley that you reviewed the '19 or did he let you try the 20s?

Thanks! It’s much appreciated.

We tasted the 2020s together (“as passionate amateurs” as he put it), but he asked me not to publish notes in deference to his new policy of only showing in bottle. So it’s the 2019s. I think I can say that you will be happy if you can acquire some of the 2020s, though.

Thanks. I heard from another “passionate amateur” that the 20s are quite special. I’ve been buying across his range since '12, although you’ve now made it significantly more difficult for me to acquire the fremiers.

Since we are talking about CdN-villages - how about CdN-village by Michel Mallard 2016 ( please note Michel is releasing his red 2 years ) ?

Jasper Morris reported ( 2nd Edition page 438 ) that he tasted in July 2019 - Chez Mallard - and that he was very impressed by them ( page 438 ).

I haven’t tried the 2016, but I would expect it to be good. Given the frost, probably quite concentrated.

But “good producers in the AOC CdN-Villages” is quite a big rabbit hole to go down! It merits its own thread.

MERCI…

*Apologies, William and thank you, Joz, for clarifying. Sorry, my mistake, as I saw the review on ‘Wine Advocate’ and assumed that it was William’s. That will teach me. Apologies for any embarrassment caused, William, and thank you for your thoughts on this estate. It is certainly refreshing to read an honest and contrarian take on such a well-known wine maker.

((((((((((…It is certainly refreshing to read an honest and contrarian take on such a well-known wine maker…)))

Interesting…

For wine critics - is honesty always the best policy ?

Yes and brovo [cheers.gif] [worship.gif] …I totally admire a person who is being honest. Respect has to be earned …and certainly there is bold decision to write such a review with these words : …***Elegance, however, is in the eye of the beholder, and I found these wines attenuated, diffuse and drying ***.

Indeed, and would be interesting to hear about specific CdN-Villages lieu-dits that would merit special recognition and especially why so (with pictures). So many topics, so little time!

I have largely refrained from entering into some of the discussions about critics feeling compelled to temper their criticism due to the implicit threat of loss of access, but this is a good example of why I find those arguments a bit exaggerated. If I don’t like the wines, why would I care if I’m banned?

Incidentally, since we are going on tangents, a lot of the debate about wine critics’ ethics remind me of (I think) Mark Twain’s line, when asked if he had ever bribed the press for good reviews, to the effect that, given what the English journalist will do for free, he had never found it necessary.

2 Likes

The best Côte de Nuits-Villages that you will never taste are the couple of barrels Mugnier makes from just above the CdlM, reserved for consumption at the domaine and for the staff. I actually persuaded him to let me try it last year promising not to write it up.

4 Likes

Is there a way to purchase the report separately or is it only available to WA subscribers?

Actually, I saw that bottle once: I met the current owners of Domaine de la Cassiopée (Maranges) in 2017 in Piemonte by coincidence. We started talking and it came out that he was working for Mugnier at that time. We visited Vajra together and he took a bottle of this CdN-Villages to the tasting - it certainly seemed to open doors in Piemonte as they had appointments at all top estates (despite the fact that they were around 25y old at that time!). But indeed, I have never tasted :slight_smile:.

Did you by chance get to try the 2019s? I finally saw that huge leap that we all thought Nicole would make, and I think she did in 2019.

Still reading the report, but so far its hard for me to think of a better way to spend $13 if you are a burgundy lover.

1 Like

Lots of emotion after reading Mr. Kelley’s comment in post No. 31 and also regarding DRC and Leroy…etc…etc.

Here are some historical facts- in the wine trades in Ontario and Quebec, Canada.

1994 LT was no taker and LCBO had to put them on fire sales. The agent ( whom I know well and earned his respects when I told him he charged me less for his 1995 Musigny ) for Domaine Leroy 1994 to 1996 …did not work-out and had to close-down.

Were those - Good old days or bad old days ?

So near, yet so far!

I think we offer a monthly subscription if you wanted to take a look.

1 Like

Yup i just got a free month as I had never subscribed to WA before. It is a great report William and i just love the way you describe the difference in the acidity between the 17’s and 20’s. It just makes so much sense and gives an instant idea about the 20’s. Too bad i cannot really afford white Burgundy :sweat_smile: