WK's new 2020 and 2019 Burgundy Report

Pretty much done now. I thought it was a great report. I found the Arnoux-Lachaux report to be particularly interesting even though the wines will be impossible to obtain. It is risky for a critic to rank someone else’s RSV above DRC’s, particularly with the big gap in 2020, but one gets the sense that William is probably on the leading edge of this trend when it comes to Arnoux-Lachaux. Hard to ignore the Bachelet Charmes review on the upside and William wasn’t as high as I was on Fourrier on the downside. Very useful to me to read.

William - obviously it is impossible for you to review everyone and there is tons of work in this so I hate to focus on something that isn’t in there, but I wanted to ask if you think you might get back to Grivot in the future? It looks like you enjoyed the '17s. I thought Mathilde did spectacular in 2020, particularly with Clos Vougeot.

2 Likes

FWIW, Neal Martin put the 2019 A-L RSV above the 2019 DRC version.

Jasper did too. As did William. But the 2020 gap from William is fairly significant.
A

quite a number of RSVs seemed to have topped the DRC barrel sample including Hudelot Noellat

Am I right in thinking the new price levels have not stopped you buying 2019 and 2020?

Thanks! I started following Charles a while back, so it has been exciting to watch his ideas coming to fruition and see him pushing the boundaries. One of the upsides of the contemporary Burgundy market, for all its downsides, is that it will back producers who take risks in the name of quality, and that seems to me what is happening here.

So you’re saying the one bottle of Lamy Criots I get each year will now be reduced to zero? :smiley:

OK I signed up. I read the main report (Robert Parker Wine Advocate) and looked through the tasting notes for producers I’m interested in, but where does one find the individual producer reports??? Anyone care to help a WA newbie?

A paragraph, or two, or three, will appear in italics under the tasting note, if everything is working well. They vary in length and detail a bit, but I try to include as much context as possible to complement the tasting notes.

1 Like

Ah, I saw a few of those. Wasn’t sure if there was something bigger I was missing. Thanks!

Well, it could be that the wines of Anne-Marie and Jean-Marc Vincent have not been discussed much in publications such as the Wine Advocate, but the extraordinary quality of the wines has been discussed here for many years by Burgundy-savvy posters such as Jeremy Holmes and Keith Levenberg. They have been among the most popular Burgundies (red and white) that I have sold for at least a decade. I have not read William’s report, but for damn sure he is not going to miss the quality of the wines. That said, because the domaine’s wines are from Santenay, Auxey-Duresses and Montagny, and they have not been expensive, they have not caught the attention of Burgundy chest-pounders.

Like others, I applaud William for giving attention to producers such as these and expanding the market for such wines, but for certain the wines of Domaine Jean-Marc Vincent, which produces just 2,000 cases per year, are going to become scarce and more expensive. After William reported on the 2018s last year, I received a message from my rep for Kermit Lynch, who imports the wines to CA (and maybe for the whole U.S.), explaining that William had written up the wines and, as a result, there was now demand from may accounts who had not purchased the wines in the past, and that the 2019s would be scarce.

2 Likes

So what is WA doing about bdx 19 and 20

I understand they have seen this at the domaine as well, with significant interest and visit requests since William’s notes and his mentions in a couple of articles last year.

William picked up Bordeaux, so he will be covering those vintages.

Hell yeah… keeping my subscription then

We have been importing and promoting the Jean-Marc Vincent wines for the best part of 15 years. Anne-Marie and Jean-Marc are brilliant people and such hard workers. I am very pleased that William is a fan and acknowledges their fantastic work in both the vineyard and cellar. We never have a problem selling our allocation, but we are getting more enquiry on the wines so they must now be on the radar of a lot more punters. Keep up the good work William.

2 Likes

Speak of the devil. This is my 3rd and last bottle which was profoundly tutti-fruity and strange two times prior, quite good today though, and not after I read your recommendation! :slight_smile:

IMG_6485.JPG

1 Like

I too decided to make good on my pledge to support the new leadership and subscribed for the first time in years. But, um, is this user interface the only option? No way to browse through an issue without 1,800 mouse clicks on each individual wine? Nothing for dinosaurs like me that would just like to sit in an easy chair and read through an article like a a magazine?

1 Like

Nope. They have promised an improved interface, but then that has been promised for about a decade.

Great. I’ll have my comments on the 2020 report ready by 2036.