World Famous Pizza Joint and Wine Offline destination is shuttered.

That’s crazy talk. I went there once, about 10 years ago. Enjoyed the quirky experience of watching Dom make and cook the pizza, cut basil over it, etc., etc. And it was fine pizza. But on the scale of great pizza places in NY (and elsewhere), if not for the experience itself, it wouldn’t even rate in the top 20 for me.

Inspectors aggregated payments to vendors, grossed up for likely sales revenue, and estimated the resultant sales taxes, for comparison versus actual remittances. This time, the vermin was not in the raw flour, but in the ensuing “dough”.

This came on my radar screen 3 weeks ago. He loved Di Fara’s. Sheesh, I’ve been saying this for years.

I texted Maggie and she appreciated the kind words from the Fat Tuesday group.

Pay your taxes. I do, you do, hopefully we all do. No sympathy for the double fisted greed of such businesses. $35 pies and crying broke. Must cost $3-$4 to make that pie. Certainly not reinvesting in the decor. BTW, probably the dirtiest kitchens I have ever seen.

Agreed.

The secret ingredients…

That was not black pepper in the marinara sauce? Much dirtier than my kitchens?
At least, we recycle some of the profits from rat-meat dumplings into the Chinatown economy, by paying off the health inspectors and tax auditors.

Well, they’ve re-opened with a 6-year tax payment plan.

Would Dom let me pay for pizza in similar manner? Yeah, sure.

Dom?
No, you have to ask Maggie.

Pie prices to rise.

A pizza Margherita for $40, plus sales tax? Too rich for my blood.

Very good pizza, but there is nothing in this post that isn’t spot on.

+2

the myth that DiFara is even good pizza needs to die, finally.

same for new haven.

thanks for coming to my ted talk

I think it’s very good pizza in a city with a lot of excellent pizza.

And FP’s white clam is pretty amazing. If you’ve had better, you’re a lucky man. I haven’t.

That’s not ted talk. That’s crazy talk.

To the degree that the underpayment of state sales taxes involves the under-reporting of income for not just state but also federal taxation purposes, a federal felony may have occurred.

Tax evasion is a felony.

I.R.C. § 7201 - ATTEMPT TO EVADE OR DEFEAT TAX
Any person who willfully attempts in any manner to evade or defeat any tax
imposed by this title or the payment thereof shall, in addition to other penalties
provided by law, be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined*
not more than $100,000 ($500,000 in the case of a corporation), or imprisoned not
more than 5 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.

Large tomato at Modern in New Haven is $20.00

Large plain in Hazlet is $14.