World Famous Pizza Joint and Wine Offline destination is shuttered.

No argument there. I’ll still save you a seat. [wink.gif]

lol. thanks

I didn’t think they sold by the slice ?

Double 9.4, great review. Most pizza I’ve seen him eat during a review.

Victor, if you want to express legal opinions on questions of federalism and the calculation of taxable income, you need to go to law school or at least bean counter school.

To echo some of the prior posts: this place has/had the most overrated food in New York.

Just curious JLee, have you been to Di Fara’s?

Some restaurant reviewers might beg to differ, rating the place and its food with some consistency.

Sales tax is a trust fund tax and the state will come down hard on companies and individuals (officers) who willfully evade collection or payment of the taxes over to the state taxing authorities. Fraudulent penalties are likely to be imposed. Jail time (while possible in NY) seems unlikely unless really egregious. I have never seen a sales tax avoidance situation result in anything beyond significant penalties. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I’ve been multiple times, the last probably over five years ago.

The place has a good story, because you can go and see the same guy, but that doesn’t make the pizza taste any better, at least to me.

I’ve also seen the reviews, as has nearly anyone who’s been there. Why else would they go all the way out there to wait in line?

Correct. The state views this like stealing. You collect sales tax on behalf of the State and it is the state’s money that you are holding, and if you do not pay it over, they will be really annoyed. I seem to recall a corporate officer going to jail about 25 years ago for it in a case in which we were involved. The NY rule is that if you have the authority to disburse money (you are a signer on a checkbook) or you are a director or senior officer, you are liable even if it is not your responsibility. We got our client out of it in that case because we established that he had no authority to disburse money and had no idea that they were’n’t paying over the trust funds. The big guys who didn’t pay and hid it from other employees ate state food and lived on a cot for a while.

They go out there to wait because the pizza is all it’s cracked up to be. Even some Berserkers that are hard to please confided to me (in 7 offlines), that they liked the pizza. I realize that not everyone likes the pizza there. Oh well. It’s only pizza. :wink:

Would your firm be willing to take this case?

Why not? Everyone is entitled to a defense. We refused to be part of the syndicate that represented Italian insurance companies in the case about refusing to pay on life insurance policies issued to people who were killed in the concentration camps, but that is a far cry from this.