WOTYs--2017 Edition---TABULATIONS COMPLETE

Cool. Please post a note!

Biggest discovery:

2004 Jean-Francois Ganevat Cotes du Jura “Les Vignes de Mon Pere” 100% old vine savagnin. Such a revelation of what a savagnin can be. Aged on lees for years. Crazy acidity and lift yet rich and deep.

I challenge you all to pick one red and one white as your WOTY. I won’t disparage you for having honorable mentions tho :wink:

Cause otherwise it’s like saying you got 85 best friends.

Red: 2001 Allemand Sans Soufre
White: 1996 Roulot Perrieres

83 La Chappelle
96 Krug

I am noticing that my consumption of wine was very low this year. :neutral_face:

Thus my use of bold at the top of the list. The 88 D’Yquem was first among equals. For reds it was that tiny little taste of 15 Clos de Beze from Marchand-Tawse, but the 82 Canon was pretty up there.

I do, of course, reserve the right to amend the list in the next 2 months :slight_smile:

The fun of people’s larger lists is that it allows me to chart some trends, etc. when I tabulate everything at the end of the year.

Red: 1969 Leroy Chapelle Chambertin
White: 2004 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre
Discovery: 2015 Weingut Rings Saumagen Riesling GG

Disclaimer: These aren’t the “best” wines I’ve had this year … just the bottles I’ve most enjoyed and appreciated from critical point of view … company, food, setting and joie de vivre may have colored my view. :slight_smile:

Surprisingly, it is actually the first year the champagne consumption rose to an acceptable ratio of overall consumption (~60 percent to date champagne.gif ).
But sticking to the rules of one per category-
Red- '86 Château Mouton Rothschild clearly rose to the top of the list.
BdB- '06 Taittinger Brut Comtes de Champagne
Blanc Noir- there were few, but none rise to a WOTY material yet.
Rosé - '04 Bollinger Grande Année Rosé (Wow), and it even gave a fight to the '06 Taittinger Rosé that was a wow-wow. (Just have to give taittinger only one spot)
White- '01 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume (can’t believe people would classify it as a dessert wine. Such long finish. Pleasure)
Dessert wines- There were few, but none truly rise to WOTY material yet.
Discovery-
'05 Jacquesson & Fils Dizy Corne Bautray (on the rising horizon, will be a ‘trophy’ bubbly)

A lot of wonderful wine this year but I’d go with

1998 Pol Roger Cuvée Winston Churchill
2004 Shafer Hillside Select
1988 Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux

Each was special and really epitomized a point of view, a grape, a style of wine. But WOTY honors go to

1989 Henri Bonneau CdP Cuvee Marie Beurrier

I don’t use the word magical in my wine notes but I did for this wine. Doesn’t just show the potential of the Southern Rhône, but of how expressive aged wine can be in the hands of a master.

I keep thinking about that 01’…I have never had Northern Syrah like that before, so pure…

Still thinking about the white…
Maybe 96’ Montrachet, but I don’t know yet…

And…?

Anyway you exaggerate. Only 27 best friends. Now you want to force me to chose what my nine-year old son calls BBFs?

Ive been thinking about this thread for a couple of days, as frankly I cannot recall drinking any particular bottle this year that just blew me away in, let’s say, a 98-100 point way. I’ve had lots of great wines, however, from Juge, Chave, Latour, to Gonon VV and some Vatan.

The year was more notable from a new discovery, mature Collares from Portugal:

That thread on a 1969 and another on a 1965, convey my thoughts best. A total, undiscovered gem.

If I have to pick one of each (and I add a third for a sweet wine), I would say

White: 90 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
Red: 1982 Leoville las Cases (although possibly the most fascinating bottle of the year was the 1978 Ridge Geyserville)
Sweet: 2014 Chateau Climens (love the combination of sweetness, richness and acidity)

Wine of the year: 1985 Jadot Corton Pougets
Discovery of the year: Ganevat

Struggling to obey…

White: 2005 Domaine D’Auvenay Meursault Narvaux (thanks, Herwig!)
Red: 1982 Cheval Blanc

Discovery: 2013 Gerard Mugneret Vosne Suchots. No discovery of place or producer, but did not think a 2013 would be so delicious now.

To follow Charlie’s rules:

Champagne: 1996 Dom Perignon Oenotheque
White: 2005 Potel Le Montrachet
Red: 1975 Latour
Sweet: 1976 Yquem

I think my discovery of the year may be Au Bon Climat - strange given I knew about the winery for some time. The 2013 Knox Alexander showed incredibly well against a strong line-up of Burgundies and really opened my eyes to the quality of ABC’s wines.

2002 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva Monfortino (wow) Tx Robert K!

White: 2014 Ramonet Montrachet (pity to list something so young, but it is extraordinary)
Red: 1953 Haut Brion
Sweet: 1962 Yquem

White: 2012 Aubert Chardonnay Eastside Vineyard (97 pts)
Red: 2010 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon Kronos Vineyard / 2012 Carter Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Three Kings Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard / 2013 Maybach Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Amoenus (3-way tie with 95 pts)

These wines are reflective of what’s in my cellar, not what I’ve recently been purchasing, which has mostly been European.

I don’t keep track of everything I drink, but these are noteworthy from my notes. I am sure there are others that I forget. In no order, but if you say that WOTN is Wine, singular, I would give it to the Rayas. If Charlie gets to make the rules - he doesn’t, but we will humor the young associate lawyer just for today - the Rayas gets the red, the Aubert gets the white, and the Foseca beats the Zind Humbrecht by a nose for a dessert wine.

It has been a good year.

1999 Rayas
2014 Paolo Scavino Bricco Ambrogio (At the winery last week. Explosive floral nose with distinct rose, violet and some other flower (lilac? honesuckle?) aromas and a soft smooth floral and fruit palate.)
2007 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Clos Jebsal Sélection de Grains Nobles
2013 Aubert Chardonnay CIX Estate Vineyard
2010 Outpost Zinfandel Howell Mountain
2011 Saxum Broken Stones
2011 Sine Qua Non Syrah Dark Blossom
1994 Fonseca
1990 Montrose
1989 Montrose (not as good as the 1990)
1995 Martin Ray Cabernet Sauvignon Diamond Mountain
2014 Saxum Broken Stones
2014 Sine Qua Non Grenache Shakti
2014 Sine Qua Non Syrah Piranha Waterdance