WOTYs--2017 Edition---TABULATIONS COMPLETE

Such a crazy wine. I have never had a Syrah show that much purity and balance. Thanks for opening it! Few things better than a 4 hr lunch eating cured meats and pickled veggies with verset and allemand.

Don’t obey Craig, just let yourself go!

I agree on the Narvaux, probably best white wine I’ve had this year as well. I’m really struggling with the high end of white wine - the few examples I’ve had have been tremendous but I’m resisting diving in. Just not sure how to approach it.

Yeah, who was the OP anyway? Fu or me? :wink: Hell, your Pichon is in my list, senor!

Bubbles: Krug 1988
White: Domaine d’Auvenay Chevalier Montrachet 1995
Red: Vogue Musigny 1999

Red: 1993 Bernard Ambroise Corton Rognets in a tie with 2000 Giacosa Barbaresco Rabaja

White: 1983 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese

Champagne: 1999 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons

DOTY: Giacosa.

While not the OP’s idea I kind of agree with having these strict rules instead of just listing all that come to mind, no matter how brutal it feels.

Sweet(ish): 2013 Franz Künstler Rüdesheimer Berg Roseneck Riesling Spätlese
Champagne: Jacques Selosse Champagne Blanc de Blancs Extra-Brut Les Chantereines
Red: 2011 Marc Sorrel Hermitage Le Gréal
White: 2011 Coche-Dury Meursault
Rosé: 2016 Domaines Ott Bandol Rosé Château Romassan (at least partly due to the location and timing: the town of Bandol on a beautiful sunny day in August)

Difficult to decide on single bottles here but those that stand out to me the most right now are:

Sparkling: Marc Bredif Vouvray Petillant NV (late 1950s)
White: Domaine Macle Chateau Chalon 2007
Red: Pierre Guillemot, Savigny-Serpentieres 1978 (closely followed by Margaux 1955)
Sweet: Climens 2009
Fortified: Samos NV (late 19th Century)

Interesting, would love to find a bottle of this to try.

Who are you, the AntiFu?

Sparkling : 1996 Krug , Clos d’Ambonnay ( discovery : Dehours , Terre de Meunier )
White : 2010 Corton Charlemagne Coche Dury ( discovery : 2007 Boisson Vadot Meursault Genevrieres and current Boisson wines)
Red : La Tache 1990 ( discovery : Fourrier 1983 Griottes )
Sweet : Yquem 1967 ( discovery : Filhot 1942 )

The problem with narrowing it down to one or three wines, and why I didn’t see that as the purpose of your OP, is there is significant interest on WB about potentially discussing any wine any of us put on a list like this. Not just the absolute top two or three. I didn’t see your OP as a challenge to select the absolute best but as a conversation starter in a broader sense to recap the year so far and what others may want to discuss.

Picking the absolute top two or three, to the extent that is even possible, is a lot less interesting.

Only when we’re facing off in fantasy football—and only on my best day.

Jayson–indeed, my very intent.

FTR, from last year’s compiled results, the 96 Salon and 06 Taittinger Comtes led the way with 5 votes each, 01 D’Yquem right behind with 4 votes and a bunch of wines with 3 votes each on people’s lists.

I actually went through my notes and came up with these:

Red. A great bottle of 1989 Beaucastel. I always have favored the 90 but now I get it.

White. 1990 Moulin Touchais. So complex and lively.

Champagne. 2004 Gaston Chiquet Blanc des Blanc from a magnum. In such a perfect spot.

2015 Idlewild, Cortese.
IMO, the best Cortese I ever tasted. Half direct press, half skin-fermented; all delicious and will develop in the cellar.
Best, jim

Ok…let’s see what we have for 2017:

Red: 1989 Clos de Lambrays
White: 2010 Guiberteau Saumur Blanc Clos des Carmes
Rosé: 1995 Chateau Musar Rosé
Sparkling: 2008 Pierre Péters Les Chevillons (it beat out the '96 PR SWC)

Discovery: Guiberteau

I can see I need to start my list at the first of the year and keep a running total. Heres a few of the favs of 17:

06 Dom 06 Taittinger CdC
96 Salon 96 Krug
04 Tus Rita Redigaffi 94 ABC Isabelle Pinot Noir
02 Moet & Chandon Grand Vintage Brut 02 Vincent Girardin Chambertin Clos de Bez
04 Bollinger La Grand Annee mag 98 Antinori Solaia
95 Guigal La Mouline 95 Guigal La Turque
95 Gu9gal La Landonne 90 Williams Selyem Rochoili Pinot Noir
89 Williams Selyem Leno Martinelli Zin 10 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Batard
98 Dom. Comte Georges de Vogue Bonnes-Mares 74 Ridge Monte Bello Cab
78 Ridge York Creek Petit Sarah 00 Domino de Pingus
01 Ch. Climens 01 d`Yquem
and so many others that time does not allow to research old notes

WOTY: 07` Ramonet Montrachet
Discovery of the year: Musar although I have yet to have a bottle

i’d disagree, far less discussion when you name 10+ wines, eyes just gloss over people’s selections. But when they just pick 1 or 2 you want to know why.

Objection sustained!

Interestingly, I have had these wines side by side twice. Once I preferred the 1989 and once the 1990. My guess is at this time it is a bottle by bottle thing.

I agree. Mine were also on the same day. The 89 was mine and the 90 was someone else’s but they were served blind. No question the 90 was better this time.