WS WOTY Week

They seem to be picking weird stuff just to make themselves look clever.

NZ Pinot, South African sweet wine, im sure these are both great wines but they are not the first things you think about especially the sweet wine.

Interesting to see if the top 6 include any mainstream labels

Heh, from what I am hearing “someone’s friend” is trying to make a big profit on some wines that may or may not be voted #1? That is all…Well I guess a sucker is born every minute.

Isn’t EL from Oregon, not NZ. Or was it Wales? neener

I’d be careful with that legal analysis, tiger.

What’s inaccurate about it?

There may be other legal theories of liability that could apply to someone who profited inappropriately from confidential information obtained from WS, such as some type of misappropriation of trade secrets tort. But that’s totally different from insider trading.

A misappropriation theory is “totally different” from insider trading?

Do I need to do the math for you?

If I told you to buy 100 shares of XYZ Corp @ $48/share, and lightning struck and it went to $120 per share, would you consider that a positive for your investment portfolio?

What’s different about a scenario of 60 bottles of the Evening Land @ $80 apiece, and it goes to $200+ at auction?

One key difference is that the wine has far less likelihood to decrease in price in the near future. And it could very well get literally pissed away…

The difference is that your stock scenario can be executed with a couple of keystrokes. Maybe a $7 fee to buy and sell, or no fee at all if you trade <50 times a month. (I think that’s what Merrill Edge gives me.) Total time? Maybe 5 to 10 minutes. Total cost? Maybe $14, perhaps $0.

Flipping 60 bottles of wine requires physically taking inventory of the wine, which means you had it shipped in or picked it up. Cost associated with either. Then you need to create an on-line post offering the wine and respond to dozens of requests. E-mail or text those people who likely want a couple bottles max. Follow up on receiving payment, then pack and ship the wine, after you bought shippers, labels, tape, etc. Then take it all to a UPS or Fed-ex store. By the way, you probably don’t have a license to sell alcohol so it’s all illegal anyway. Hope that your UPS Store doesn’t find out why you just dropped of 98 different boxes shipping all over the U.S.

Sending it to auction takes care of some of the work. Now you just need to take delivery of the wine, then ship to it the auction house. They’ll take their 20% cut or whatever it is these days. You’ll get checks for $80 dribbling in for a few months.

I did the math…I’ll stick to my day job!

Assuming the information was legally obtained - in other words which wine was to be rated “1” was obtained from legal sources and without any illegal activity. Is it still actionable [common law misappropriation] to use that information to buy and sell wine to make a profit? Is it considered a trade secret in the context of common law tort?

Thread drift.
I thought we had a real names policy on this board.

ERPARK!!!..really!?

Seriously the deep web and dark web are different? God I hate the 21st century.

Yes, this isn’t law school, but among the differences: federal vs state law, potentially criminal vs not, different standards for confidentiality, different duties based on source of information, how information was obtained, efforts company went to to keep it secret.

If you are objecting to my use of the word “totally” - then please substitute “substantially” or “significantly” in its place.

Wait, what are we fighting about here?

Just in case:

“That is completely outlandish!”

“That is completely acceptable!”

I looked at the list - it doesn’t seem so proprietary, we can likely discuss it, but #7-10 didn’t get me all sparked up.

Welcome to WB, Bob. Been a subscriber to your newsletter “from the very start”.
Tom
[/quote]

^ Nice!

It’s a scary place, like this thread. [titanic.gif]

Seem to me that if the source legally obtained the info and dispensed it legally to you then there should be no tort involved even if we consider this information proprietary [which it may or may not be]. But hell I have not taken a law school class since 75.

However the deep dark web is a wonderful place, fully searchable and exquisitely indexed.

One day I’ll have to stick my toe in.

I would be stunned if this information isn’t embargoed and if the source didn’t violate confidentiality when disseminating it. Obviously, if the Spec is telling its employees to go buy up cases of the WSWOTY in advance, then that’s a different set of facts, but . . . that strains credulity.

Here is a link to a post by the person selling the eveningland, he made back in March, speculating on it being woty. That’s it, speculation back in March…no inside info, nothing.