WTF is the problem with Chardonnay?

Oak would not lead to medicinal.usually - unless we’re talking peaty barrels [drinkers.gif]

Cheers.

Peter, a second vote on the Model Farm chardonnay. And related are the chard from Kutch (Joanna makes the MF wines, and is Jamie’s AW). The Kutch chards are excellent, with both of these producers making pure, acid driven wine.

It’s winemaker then terroir in that order.

Should there be a WTF With Pinot Grigio Thread (substitute Alto Adige for Burgundy)?

I’d say the problem’s not so much that it’s grown outside of Burgundy (or Champagne - or the Jura!) but with the people who decide that this is the variety they want to grow, wherever they are in the world, regardless of what they’ve got to work with. I’m sure there are places it can grow reasonably well, but I suspect that the people who would care enough about this to make a good wine, would end up choosing something that would be better suited to the terroir (etc) anyway…

Chardonnay doesn’t kill wine - people do.

This is increasingly becoming the case across the board these days . . .

Cheers.

I do not disagree … but some do

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1UXSdLHifQ/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Ignore the Cooper behind the curtain. He lives for the ability to complain about wine not made in Burgundy.

I think the answer is that the American palate, especially the American female palate (anyone who disagrees with my guess than 80%+ of all Rombauer Chardonnay is drunk by women can accuse me of sexism), like buttery, oaky and a little bit of apparent sweetness chardonnay. Since that’s a relatively easy manipulation and it flies out the door of the retail store, and is also the preferred WBTG offering at many mediocre restaurants, that’s what a lot of wineries produce. Can’t fault them for wanting to make some money.

Sounds like Adam may be referring to the mass produced supermarket type of Chards, which are often a mockery of wine. Sort of like comparing Coors or Budweiser to beer, though. These are the “unnatural” wines.

Too bad there’s no eyeroll emoji here

Yes, this was a lower end Chard, for sure. Mass market. Don’t even recall what producer, I suppressed it. But a few months back I had Stag’s Leap (which was also on the cheaper side, admittedly) - same thing. And numerous other ones. It’s what’s kept me away from Chards over the years and only by tasting Failla’s Big Egg one last year did I dare start buying again to see if it was problem with me.

On of my faults is I can’t describe wines as well as many of you. Just don’t have that gene that can distinguish 10 different tastes in a wine. I can only describe one or two. But to expand on the description; it as a harshness that reminds me of drinking aspirin. A chemical, medicinal taste.

I was sure this was going to be another premox thread!

Here ya go rolleyes

As has been said, it’s rare to find a supermarket Chardonnay, or even a lower end bottling from a decent producer that’s very good. And I’m as big a burg fan as anyone. But you can find excellent Chardonnay in California (and Oregon). Just have to know where to look.

Ok. I will be magnanimous today. Stony a Hill, Mount Eden and a few others can grow it in California. But, Jay, I cannot go as far as Rombauer. Sorry. champagne.gif

Also remember that good chardonnay (french or otherwise) needs food but doesn’t work with everything. So try a good white burg or chablis with crab or grilled fish with a fruit salsa and give it air and time a d see if you like it any better.

Rare indeed: Probably the only palatable bottle of Chardonnay I’ve had some safeway was the Clos La Chance which is quite for $11. Its got a great acidic backbone and doesn’t fall into the cougar juice category.

Adam: let’s see what you think of Certas Chardonnay.

Sean

I’m sure Jamie makes an excellent Chard as well. Haven’t tried it since my wife unsubscribed me from the list after the 2012 summer release.

nope

I guess I’m lucky in that the zaftig, trashy super market Chardonnay is what makes me happy. I had a 17 Sebastiani Chard [North Coast] last week which is probably a B- wine for most critics/berzerkers, but I liked it, and realistically, would have been just as happy with oaky Bogle for half the cost. Beringer’s PR is probably my favorite of this style.

My well heeled, and better palated, friends keep trying to convince me of the wonders of Burgundy but I never really understand & enjoy it as much. Chablis with shellfish is awesome, but is a narrow use case in our house, and one that might get handled by a Loire white anyways.

Fortunately we have a vast spectrum of wines available. It seems like the only wine/producer that there is universal affection for is Ridge.