You can choose one hectare from any vineyard in Germany...which one would you go for?

I don’t follow how that relates to the thread. You thought the wine was made from a vineyard? As opposed to grapes from vines in the garden in front of his home?

Doesn’t G-Max come from the Westhofener Unobtainium vineyard? :wink:

Yes - is in the rheinhessen, which unlike Ruwer is not part of Mosel.

[rofl.gif]

Mistakes are made. By the German wine authorities, many over the years.

1 Like

And they continue to make them.

Well, not playing really by the rules, but I’d take the Merkelbach’s 1 hectare, which is the entire estate and I’d stipulate that whoever makes the wines in the future has to keep them as they are.

My other answer: part of the Pündericher Marienburg, maybe Falkenlay.

And then there’s Saarburger Rausch. We were there just when they were picking the vineyards and when you walk around the roundabout between the bridge and the center of town, you can stick out your hand and taste the grapes without ever leaving the sidewalk. I think this is it.
IMG_6411.JPG

1 Like

I’m waiting for Lars or Martin to chime in. The source of the G-Max vineyard is unknown and probably changes from year to year. The last time it was announced it was Morstein. Tourists then started coming to the vineyard and cutting grapes off of the vines so they stopped revealing the source. My original response was Morstein as it seems to merit higher pricing than Abts Erde.

I’ll add Krettnacher Euchariusberg as I love the Falkenstein wines.

No doubt Großschock is a special portion of Euchariusberg.

Either Schlossberg (between Assmannshausen and Rüdesheim in Rheingau) or Kirchenstuck (outside Forst in the Pflalz).

1 Like

Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg

1 Like

I would go for MORSTEIN

BTW guys, the estate Keller has never ever communicated to which vineyard the G-Max belongs. At the end of the day it is all speculation.

Fair to say the G-Max belongs to a plot with the best (!) limestone soil.

When you were at Saarburger Rausch did you taste at Zilliken?

Not a bad choice. 120+ year old ungrafted vines.

1 Like

I’m surprised it took two pages to get to Kirchenstuck. That’s certainly in my top 3.

I would choose Brunnenhäuschen & then I’d ask KPK to make wine with whatever plot I have.

That‘s true. Kirchenstück is also in my Top 3

Maybe the fairer question would have been: pick one hectare with slate subsoil and one with limestone.

1 Like

No! We were 2 blocks from their location and didn’t realize where they were. I found out a few days later.

Hey, it is in my top 2. For the King of Bavaria in 1828 Kirschenstück scored the maximum number of points (65) in the soil survey and was rated the best vineyard (yes, #1) in Germany. With Schlossberg, I hike past that vineyard nearly every weekend. Given 1 hectare and all the time in the world, I wager I could make better wine on that steep slope of mineral sun exposure than the winemakers that already have plots there: Breuer, Leitz, Kessler… Serious untapped potential. As for the secret G-Max plot, I think KPK is doing wonders with that already…