You’re being evacuated from your home, what wine do you grab?

Don’t have 01 D’Yquem at the moment, so 01 Climens. Even in the dark, I know exactly where it is in my wine fridge. Stay safe, Brian and others out there!

FIFY

It’s quite funny how some people get very serious with even the light hearted fun type polls.

Yes, it can be a bit weird actually. Obviously no one is going to grab a bottle of wine in preference to a family member, a pet, or probably even an iPhone.

However once all that is done and I have room to carry one bottle out it will be the 1955 Gonzalez Byass Sherry. Effectively irreplaceable and I’m really, really looking forward to trying it.

It’s the internet. There’s nothing grown men can’t be too serious about here!

If I only get to save one bottle, it’s a 3L of 2010 Ridge Monte Bello that is to be opened on May 22, 2040, to celebrate 25 years of marriage. This bottle is a bit more special in that we had everyone attending our wedding who had been married 25 years or longer sign it.

My father-in-law signed it ‘hope you enjoy it, sorry I won’t be there to drink it with you’. Which is a bit presumptious but I suppose a safe bet.

Life is fleeting.

I have a few irreplaceable bottles I would jump at. If I could only bring one, I would go for a 1789 Courvoisier. If I could use both hands, I’d pick up my bottle of '37 Pierre Ponnelle Musigny in the other.

Honestly, I think wine would be the last thing on my mind at a time like that.
But to those who say the wine is “replaceable”, I sincerely doubt insurance would give you the current value of rare Burgundy, Piedmont, Rougeard and Rhones. Most likely you would get back what you paid, not the current replacement cost, and even if you did the current value, in many cases you wouldn’t be able to find those bottles again (think of Verset, others).

It’s just wine, I’ll buy more wine and start a new collection with a new palate. I was thirsty so I grabbed something.

that’s worth saving–and as a 3L probably easy to find in the dark. Lovely story, Jason. I hope you do get to enjoy fully when the time comes. Makes me think of swapping out my 01 Climens for my 86 Lafite that was (more or less) given to me by a close–and now deceased–friend.

This

Probably, not definitely? Depends on if they’re acting up? :slight_smile:

No shit, Brian. Folks are having a problem staying with your premise, you did not ask what are the most important things to take with you, just for thoughts regarding a bottle of wine as a theoretical question. I looked at the question as the bottle I would want for a multi day evacuation.

Only one post mentioned port, the wine that will survive being open best for days based on quantity typically consumed and time it remains closest in taste to when it was opened.
Granted not everyone likes port as I do…my 70 Fonseca mag is my choice.

Certainly an unfortunate situation…and one all-too-real for Californians. I voted for imported red (Chave, obvi) but likely I’d not grab ANY wine on the way out. I wouldn’t want my children (and wife, for that matter) to see that I grab a bottle of wine (or two, or three) before something THEY feel is important, or to remember that I did such a thing when life returns to normal…which makes me think perhaps I should stick a bottle or two in the emergency kit now!

You evacuate to friends in Napa, make an appointment at Frogs Leap and have the best 3 hours one could have. Especially considering your house may burn to the ground.

PS: I am not minimizing the concern we have nor the highest regard we have for the firefighters and first responders. Just trying to make the best of a horrible situation. The Frogs Leap visit was awesome!
9EBFED9A-F6F7-43A1-94A0-F59DC4A80368.jpeg
A227601B-BF9F-433B-9AD8-F88DE3290AFB.jpeg

Playing Brian’s game literally, my under-counter wine fridge has an angled display of 6 bottles, the only ones visible through the glass door. Those are first ones I see. Right now, of the six bottles there, I’d probably grab the ‘67 Marcarini Barolo Brunate that was slotted for a canceled tasting with Sh@n although that certainly would shake the hell out of the nicely-settled sediment.

In reality, I would just get my wife and kids out. Well, maybe I’d grab an original Calder we drunkenly bought at an auction many years ago and a Gronk monoprint I bought in the ‘90s that I’m very fond of. Wine is replaceable.

We had a pretty bad fire heading our way a few years ago and had to evacuate at short notice. I’ve got plenty of rare bottles but when presented with an evacuation scenario, we simply grabbed the children, some documentation, photos and got out of there.

The wine is insured and whilst some are irreplaceable, they were farthest from my thoughts at the moment we chose to evacuate.

Honestly can’t think which of the bottles at home I’d grab. If I was in an evacuation situation, I’d definitely want something stronger than wine after; so would grab a bottle of single malt Scotch - one of the unopened litre bottles, so there’d be more to drink.

[worship.gif]

Based on having read Jeremy’s posts on here over the years, next time there’s a fire in his neighborhood, I’m heading over to his house.