Your Favorite White Wine

Gewurtz-Alsace-Lorraine
Chard-California
Pinot Gris-Alsace-Lorraine

With the exception of the sparkling, you basically just described Stony Hill. They are my favorite white wine producer. Very old world in style, but obviously they are not a hip/popular producer. Best value in white in the valley IMO.

I also have a love affair with Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru, but that’s a splurge for sure.

Ones from the Mosel, Spatlesen if I had to be very specific.

Burgundy from leaner producers, Roulot, Coche etc too though, Spatlese doesn’t pair with all foods.

I certainly would not argue with those who put white Burgundy at the top of their list. I just don’t have experience with very many makers. So, on the California front, lately, I have really enjoyed Ceritas Chardonnay (from various vineyards)–mostly because they remind me of white Burgundy.

Actually, I wouldn’t argue with anybody’s list. Under the right circustance, I can appreciate any of the selections.

Why doesn’t this producer get more love?

I wish I knew! They have one of the most experienced and longest tenured winemakers in the valley, some of the best vineyards (mountainside fruit), and it’s not overpriced.

I agree. I love Riesling and drink more German wines than whites from anywhere else. But at the top, there is white Burgundy, or maybe Clos St. Hune.

If someone else is paying, white Burgundy, for sure.

Domestic? I like some of the Ceritas Chardonnays (the 2012 Pinnacle was quite nice the other night, especially alongside a Kistler, which is too much for me). Copain’s Laureles Grade and Brosseau have turned my head a bit. I don’t care at all for Viognier, Rousanne, that stuff. Too floral, too “sweet,” too, too much.

I do not care at all for German whites - I don’t get Riesling, for sure (apologies to Mr. Bueker). And those long, skinny bottles are a real pain in the cellar.

Funny, I don’t think of Champagne as white wine. But I do love Champagne.

Riesling, usually Spatlese, Furmint from Tokaj, and Godello are the whites I have most of and open most frequently.

But over the past couple years I’ve kind of re-discovered Chardonnay, although I don’t like it when it has too much residual sugar and a lot of honeydew melon flavors, nor when it’s overly austere and lean, in which case I’d just as soon have something from the Loire.

Chardonnay is the most overrated white wine in the world.

You and Scott need to STFU!

How so? That seems incongruent with its wide popularity across all spectrums of price and quality…?

Yeah, roger that. I meant “Pony Chill” that new cheap rose sparkiling that was just released… [snort.gif]

Not the new hot thing. Very small.

Depending on the food and my mood, it’s a toss-up between:

German Riesling
Chenin Blanc
Sauvignon Blanc
dry & somewhat oxidative (i.e.: Musar Blanc; LdH “Gravonia”)

I am hosting an event this afternoon. So I need to go and really we shouldn’t be sidetracking this thread. There is a sea of mediocre wine from less than great sites, propped up by styling and branding that would make many marketing firms green with envy.

Chenin blanc from the Loire. Amazing complexity.

Aged Cali chard with 10 plus years can be sublime – especially those with deft but not overbearing oak use – Littorai/Peay/Mount Eden

Austrian Gruner Veltliner though this is relatively expensive and hard for me to source.

Austrian–Nikolaihoff, Prager, Nigl, some Pichler
Chablis
Cote de Beaune
Coulee de Serrant (polarizing, I know)
Lots of other Loire CBs also
and I am really loving Liquid Farm

and a boatload of German Riesling
southern Italian
and Alsace
Roussillon

I guess I should have just said that I am not crazy about most Sauvignon Blanc champagne.gif

edit/oops, I forgot Champagne

Exactly! If people are drinking it, it’s no good. neener

For value daily drinker is Cali SB. Geyser Peak or Dancing Bull. Perfect wine for before dinner/hanging out while making dinner.