Your Favorite White Wine

Ridge Estate Chardonnay and LdH Gravonia

Chablis by a mile

Perhaps even harder for whites than it would be for reds.

On any one occasion I might fancy a rich-buttery overworked chardonnay, or one that was almost the opposite.

Chenin blanc can amaze when on form, but can also be as mediocre as they come

White Musar and traditional Rioja’s can demand (and reward attention) but on other occasions are entirely unsuitable.

Riesling dry and sweet have offered great enjoyment

Cortese and Garganega can be brilliant (perhaps Gini’s Contrada di Salvarenza Soave is the one recent white wine that has wowed me).

Fiano (di Avellino) always seems to impress, as does Greco di Tufo

Moscato d’Asti (and other Muscat incarnations) can be the most smile inducing wines for very little money.

Timorasso is a relatively new discovery, for a more powerful / heavyweight (yet food friendly) wine.

and that’s just scratching the surface

For me it’s the variety of options for white wines that appeal.

German Riesling Spätlese, specifically Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Spätlese.

I’m not a Riesling pro like some of you, and frankly not even really a true connoisseur of white wines, but gotta say, that one ranks up there with one of my absolute favorites. Got some Donnhoffs coming in late this week from Crush, yum!

David - I was given one of these as a gift. Knowing I have never had a Riesling that I liked, do you recommend that I open it? It is a 2011.

I agree that there’s an ocean of overrated (and overpriced) wines made from Chardonnay. However, I believe the finest examples of Grand Cru white Burgundy truly have no equals when it comes to dry whites.

[cheers.gif]

YES, please!!! [bow.gif]

I’m in for 100% Marsanne Hermitage. flirtysmile

I’ll throw my little list in the heap, starting at the top.

Chenin Blanc from the Loire, particularly from schist soils. Savennieres, Anjou, Coteaux du Loir.

Riesling from Mosel SR and Nahe, particularly dry versions.

Muscadet Sevre et Maine.

Chablis GC. (If a friend is extremely generous I’ll accept (Chevalier)Montrachet).

Altesse and Roussanne from Savoie and Bugey.

Several small and/or under-appreciated Italian wines. Malvasia and Vitovska from Carso, Riesling from Valle Isarco, Blanc Morgex et La Salle from Valle d’Aosta, Timorasso from Colli Tortonesi, Carricante from Etna and more.

Mark - Don’t believe the hype.

By making this big fuss about mentioning STONY HILL, I would think your drawing more attention than if you said nothing and maybe sent a PM to the villan who mentioned your under the radar nectar of the gods.

Bouchard c.c.

So, since the OP is “favorite white wine” let’s try this.

I offer you a glass of 1986 or 1992 or 1996 DRC ‘Montrachet’, guaranteed no PremOx, just exactly as it should be. Or the same with Leflaive.

So

If people have other wines that they like better, are more ‘favorite’, tell me what you’d rather have? No price issue as that’s not what the OP asked.

I probably have a greater desire, interest, and (maybe) appreciation for white wines than others in the local wine group–who mostly gravitate toward Chablis and Cote-de-Beaune. At the top of the list is riesling (Germany, Austria, Alsace). The next tier includes Loire chenin, arneis, and fiano.

I didn’t until I had my second bottle of '12 Bouchard Monty. After I finished my share of the wine, I found myself smelling the empty glass and bottle for 30 minutes straight. That Chardonnay remains the most moving/impressive white wine I’ve ever tasted, regardless of grape variety and/or sugar level.

[cheers.gif]

I’ll gladly take one glass of each! :stuck_out_tongue:

It has been a while since Vienna was my main layover, and since returning to the US, I have found Austrian wines a bit harder to source. Nigl, Hiedler, Prager, Jamek and Erwin Sabathi pop out in my mind. I tried to find Erwin Sabathi once and didn’t locate a domestic retailer.

In general, I had such a good impression of Austrian whites during a certain time in my life that I tend to order them on menus when offered and pick up a bottle at wine shops when they offer something different.

k.

I prefer Bouchard Montrachet. DRC Montrachet is too [wow.gif] , too much [wow.gif] of everything …

For DRC Montrachert - I prefer 1978… champagne.gif

Perusing CT, some favorites include:

2002 Raveneau Butteaux
2002 Dauvissat Preuses
2010 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard
2012 Donnhoff Hermannshohle GG
2005 Weinbach Riesling Cuvee Schlossberg Ste. Catherine
2005 F. X. Pichler Riesling Smaragd Loibner Berg
1996 Coche-Dury Meursault Perrieres

Have always had a soft spot for Guy Roulot’s Meursault Les Tessons too, when I can get it.

Cheers,
Dioug