Your Favorite White Wine

As much as it costs, it’s Interesting that no one reporting out as of yet likes d’Yquem.
pileon [smileyvault-ban.gif]

I’d love to be able to compare my current favorites to great vintage DRC Montrachet, but like most people, I’ve never tasted it and doubt I ever will. So, much as I’d like to, I can’t say whether I like my current favorites better. Sorry.

My three current favorite whites are:

1. Prager Achleiten Riesling (recently had an awesome 2001)
  2. Rhys Alpine Chardonnay (2011 my favorite for current drinking)
  3. Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc (not trolling; this is really great, although 2012 was not the best vintage)

[basic-smile.gif]

I did think is there was one person who would be able to give such a precise answer, it would be you David [basic-smile.gif]
I’m frankly surprised you didn’t name the vintage [wink.gif]

German whites are hands down my favorites…

Champagne
Chard/burg
Riesling
Sauternes

I guess I would agree that white burg reaches the higher high, but I think I might rather drink champagne on a daily basis.

I just recently started noticing a shift in my drinking trends away from red and leaning more to white, maybe its the summer and the heat in Florida but certain whites, and yes even Chardonnay make me doubt the weather has anything to do with it. During a recent trip to Napa I had the pleasure of tasting with Benoit at Hartwell and the 2012 Fait Main Chardonnay from Toyon Vineyards was amazing. I usually prefer crisper whites but this was truly stunning. [welldone.gif]

That post was pretty easy wasn’t it. I see that it was your first after lurking for 2+ years. Welcome to the board.

I assumed the OP meant still white table wines, which is why I didn’t include Champagne or stickies. And while I appreciate that most sparkling wines some “dessert wines” can be great savory food companions, my guess the OP wasn’t necessarily going there.

Honestly I totally forgot I had registered then I went to register today and surprise, surprise - I was already registered newhere
I was so used to “lurking” but oh well you are stuck with me now

“Favorite” is so context-dependent. Am I bringing a bottle to Tanoshi for omakase, to Mountain Bird and its head-to-toe sampler etc, or enjoying at home with risotto? What season? For that matter does “favorite” mean it made my head spin, or is it what I’d like to drink more often than anything else? Regardless, most candidates would be drawn from:

int-oxed (“intentionally”) whites - Sherry, Madeira, Jura, LdH Rioja
Alsatian
Austrian: Gruner, Roter, Gemichter Satz…
German Riesling
minerally AFWE classics - Chablis (no fatties please), top-notch Sancerre (Bouley), however trite those choices may be

Then again, I’ve intentionally avoided even moderately pricey white Burgs…

I’m still very green in my wine education but currently my favorite whites are Alsatian rieslings. Bone-dry & deep.
I shy away from chardonnay but I think it’s because I haven’t had my “aha!” moment with one. It will come, I am confident.

Wait a while. I have found 2011s to be a bit shut down lately.

It is not even my favorite Sauternes.

Specifically, my favorite white this summer was the 2012 Clos St. Magdeleine Cassis, a Marsanne blend. It was just delightful and seemed to go with the weather. Currently, am digging a wine from Valle D’Aosta, the Ermes Pavese 2012 Blanc de Morgex. It’s just very mineral-driven and lemony, and works well with a lot of dishes. Both wines are in the $20’s.
In general I drink mainly whites: Dry Chenins or Sparkling wines from the Loire, or Riesling (Kabinetts & Trockens, sometimes Spatlese). There’s a lot to like.

I’ll go with a favorite, Gilbert Picq chablis, Alsace dry Riesling, such as basic Trimbach, and I drink a lot of sauvignon blanc, from various areas, these are all top flight food wines for me. That said, I’m more of a red wine person, while my wife can’t tolerate anything slightly tannic, so mostly a white wine girl. She likes riesling or Vouvray

Would probably consider this my all time favorite French white wine.

Peter, the one dry wine I have had that could stand up to that company is 1989 Clos St. Hune. If I had to choose another, it would be either Haut Brion Blanc or Laville Haut Brion. In the latter cases, I think I would clearly pick the white Burgundy. I have had Lefaive Chevalier and Batard and I have had Montrachet, but not DRC or Lefaive Montrachet, but I still think the Clos St. Hune would give it a better run for its money than you think.

Now, if we want to go sweet (OP just said white), how about d’Yquem or a good German TBA?

And, Peter, I would have thrown in Salon 1996, but that also is Chardonnay.

Alsatian whites
Arneis
Whites from Rioja
Chablis, the only good Chardonnay IMHO
Pinot Gris from Oregon