Your lowest Cellartracker Scored Wine in Your Cellar

2001 Mathern Niederhäuser Rosenberg Riesling Auslese 82.5 points. Only 4 ratings however.

Personally, unless I know the author and his or her tsates, I place very little emphasis on anyone’s rating (CT or otherwise). For example, I trust Tanzer’s 89pt rating on the '88 Clos de Lambrays, more than the CT 80 point rating. Both are wrong, but one will weigh my purchase more.

Just like I would listen to Jeremy Holmes’ comments on the '93 Ampeau, while not caring about a 65pt rating from someone I have never heard of.

I was the most recent one of those…bought it last summer at K&L. It’s not offensive, but I’d recommend you think “sweet fruity beverage” more than “aged Auslese.”

My lowest is 79 points (just two scores, plus my non-scored note): 2007 Tolo Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon. One note describes it as flavorless like colored water, but the one I opened was way different - dense, volatile, and not that cab-like, but far from flavorless. I have no idea what’s going on there.

Just above that is an 80-point (two note) 2011 Paripaso Chardonnay which a relative bought for cooking, never used, and left at our place. We might cook with it in a pinch, and will I’m sure taste it out of curiosity, but I’m not expecting anything.

2009 Centonze Nero d’Avola Sicilia IGT 85.9pts

How low is low?

Once I realize which bottle has the lowest CT score, I either drink it or bring it to another persons house. Usually a person that does not care.

Juan Antonio Ponce, Clos Lojen 2010, a bobal from manchuela, purchased via a commerce corner deal. People hate it. I found it extremely simple but not, as one poster opined, that “it tasted like a$$.” That is an exact quote by the way, down to the $$.

I found it to be not bad, in a simple carbonic fruity way. but then I proceeded to give other bottles away to people who don’t care. The others may serve for Sangria or something.

My inventory is sadly out of date, but 5 of the bottom 7 for me are Garagiste wines… Mylord at the bottom.

1996 Rotllan Torra Priorat Amadis; Scored 82 (anonymously)

But then, there’s this unscored note:

6/3/2005 - CLAUDIO_BXL WROTE:
Very good viscosity and a complex and refined nose of vainilla, licorice and a hint of animal aromas. In teh mouth it has very elegant, silky tannins, with good balance and long on red fruit, mineral and animal notes. Great wine

Unless this has fallen apart since 2005, it’s great to be so looking forward to pulling the ‘worst’ wine in the cellar.

And thanks for this thread; I would likely have continued to overlook this single, hiding bottle.

I have plenty that have no score, but lowest…

2007 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir One Barrel 80 pts CT
2003 Sloan 82.6 CT though I gave it a 73

The most recent note on the 2003 Sloan is quite hilarious:

12/28/2012 - NIAGARA WROTE: 65 Points
Literally the worst crap I have ever drunk. Hot as the innermost circle of hell, and what fruit there is, is a strange fruit that suggests that the grapes were macerated with a collection of old jockstraps. The only thing more disgusting than the wine was the price, and perhaps my self-loathing for paying it. And to the point of one recent reviewer, I’ve drunk a lot of Bordeaux (check my reviews), up and down the scale, and believe me I’m not falling over this wine, or for the increasingly absurd Mr. Parker’s 96 point score, which (I hate to admit) is what led me to drop a lot of money for three bottles of this junk. Lesson learned. The 65 points is for the bottle, the label, and the cute little red wax seal stuck to the bottle, which I predict would, if chewed mindfully, taste better than the stuff inside.

80 points, no written review for Gaja Conteisa 2008.

I wasn’t sure how to search by points, but I do have on order 2010 Leoville Poyferre which received only 82 points from John Gilman (but in the 90’s from IWC, Richard Jennings and almost 94 points as a CT average.

Since I don’t drink wines under 90 points, I keep posting tasting notes with high scores for wines that are in my cellar so I that I can make sure the average score is above 90 points.

2005 Comte Armand Auxey Duresses 1er Cru - 82.3 pts. I haven’t tried one, so I have no idea what to think. Only 3 reviews though. I wasn’t going to open one for a few years.

2010 Château Boswell Chardonnay The Voyage - 84 points. Really? Seems way to low.

Sometimes I wonder why he bothers to review Bordeaux anymore, as he finds very little to like about the wines being made there these days.

Randomly came across this thread again…

The lowest rate wine in my cellar, per CT (and excluding wines where I am the only scorer) is the 2015 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Granges.

I’ve had the wine twice and while I didn’t rate it, I think it’s a fair bit better than 85 points (assuming that the wine scored was using the conventional CT scoring system, where mediocrity garners 88 points).

Who is the dumbass who created this thread? [snort.gif]

I have moved on from the Four Vines 80 pointer I originally posted about, but I now have a 2014 Erath Pinot that comes in at 84.6 and in reality should be far below that.

John is on here, and can likely defend himself on this count, but I think he just dislikes the very modern wines. For my part his tastes are useful because he points me to more obscure chateaux that I’d not otherwise find. I mean, even if you don’t agree with his palate, it has to be nice to see a counterpoint right? Isn’t it kind of silly to just have three or four critics with very similar tastes offering scores within a point or two of one another? Six 93-95 point scores with similar tasting notes is a great result if you’re selling, but not that useful if you are considering a purchase IMO.

My lowest scored wine is a 2003 A-F Gros Pommard les Pezzeroles. My last tasting of this wine was not good at all. I don’t score wines so my note isn’t in the mix but it is carrying an 82 at the moment. If forced, I’d say that is about appropriate. I doubt it’s the worst wine in my cellar though. That would probably go to something that was gifted or left at my house.