Your QPR of the Year - 2013

Zaya 12 year old Trinidad rum–have enjoyed it greatly this past year.

My man. [cheers.gif]

2011 Foillard - Morgon “Cote du Py”

… off the top of my head, so far. [berserker.gif]

With such a broad swath question, I’d be surprised to see more than 3 “votes” needed to garner the top spot;)

My oddball contribution would be a 1998 Deutz Champagne Cuvée William Deutz, acquired for $38/btl via auction. Stunning stuff for that price.

My prediction of my 2014 QPR of the year is the 2012 Bedrock Sonoma Coast Syrah. Hasn’t been bottled, but tasted this last week. If it comes in around $20, I’m going to be all over it when it shows up on an offering. For stuff acquired at retail, there were a lot of roses and red burgundies that definitely over delivered in terms of satisfaction. And the '11 Bedrock Old Vines Zin is pretty darn good for the price.

Edited to remove unintentional redundancy…ooops! That’s what happens when I start an entry, get diverted, come back and don’t bother to read how far I got in the first stream of consciousness (or lack thereof).

Voting with my wallet… it was obviously these two:
2012 Bedrock Old Vine Zin
2010 Baudry Domaine

Hoping to taste the new Bedrock Syrah next weekend. It did in fact come in at $19, btw. Wondering how it will compare to the 2011 North Coast.

image.jpg

Rivers Marie Sonoma Coast - every vintage.

White - For $15 this is about as great a deal as I’ve found since I worked in the industry (2006-2010) and bought a magnum of 1970 DRC GE for $250…2008 Weingut Robert Weil Kiedricher Gräfenberg Riesling Trocken Erstes Gewächs
Red - Dollar for dollar with reds…I’m happiest with my 2010 Thomas I bought this year.

2007 Boutari Naousa Grand Reserve - $16

Dead ringer for traditionally made Barolo

White – 2011 Forlorn Hope Torrontes La Gitana Silvaspoons ($18)

Red – 2011 La Clarine Farm Mourvedre Cedarville ($21)

Jim - what do you think of the 2012 Bedrock Sonoma Coast Syrah? [snort.gif]

My two…

Both are $25 or less and made me say WOW.

2009 Madeleine Cabernet Franc Chapitre V - Le Pianiste
(In my opinion: FAR superior to the 2010 Bernard Baudry Chinon, not even close.)
2010 Madeleine Syrah au Naturel

I too really liked this. I also loved the 2010 Baudry Domaine mentioned here by our Loire-heads. I really enjoyed some Lucien Crochet Sancerre. (I don’t know if it constitutes QPR as it wasn’t exactly cheap for good white Sancerre. Just under $30.) I also took a flyer on a batch of 1978 Ridge Late Harvest Geyserville ($30 average) that was a phenomenal deal and perhaps one of the best and most exciting wines I’ve had in my few years of drinking the stuff, regardless of any consideration for cost. So I guess that’s my QPR vote for the year, going strong for my QPR of the decade.

If I had to choose a new wine, it would be the 2012 Bedrock or 2010 Baudry Domaine.

1. 10 Halcon Alturas
  2. 11 Gonon St Joseph
  3. 12 Bedrock Old Vine Zin
    (tie given the higher score for the Gonon but lower price for the Bedrock)

2007 Meyers Cab… it’s the gold standard for cabs in the $40 price range… unbeatable and drinks like $125+ cab. Another killer QPR is the 2010 Rivers-Marie Panek Vineyard cab.

I am going to leave out German QBAs and Kabinetts because otherwise I would have to name virtually everyone of these I have had in the last year. German wine lovers have fallen so in love with the GG and other dry wines that they have driven the prices up to White Burg levels for those and left the good old-fashioned QBAs and Kabinetts at wonderful prices.

Some of my best QPR wines this year have come from an unlikely source, Burgundy

2008 Jouan Passtoutsgrain
2001 Chandon des Briailles, Pernand Vergelesses Ille des Vergelesses (got this a couple of years ago for $30)
2011 Dublere Bourgogne Blanc
2009 Lapierre Morgon

N/V scharffenberger Brut for $13 in my market is a smokin deal on a tasty bubbly from Mendicino area.

1983 La Dominique for $35.

I’ll 2nd that and also add Chanrion 's CdB

2010 baudry Le clos guillot